Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Too Big for Frame.... >

Quilt Too Big for Frame....

Quilt Too Big for Frame....

Old 09-22-2022, 12:45 PM

Default Quilt Too Big for Frame....

My quilt top is 87". My frame can accommodate 90". Obviously, that's not going to give the extra 4" I need on either side.
I've been racking my brain on how to do this and watching a couple of videos that make it look virtually impossible (and made me sea sick to watch...).
Tell me where the hole in my theory is:
Why can't I leave say 3" of batting and backing on either side and fold it over the last 3" of the sides of the quilt, so I'm treating those 3" like the extra 3 you normally leave.. (I would float the batting and top.) Then, I would quilt whatever I could of the middle, remove the quilt and finish the sides on my domestic. The side clamps would still go on and I wouldn't have to fit the bigger rolls under my machine arm. The only drawback I see might be that the tension of the middle of the quilt top may be effected by the extra layer being rolled up on the outsides, but I do still have the side clips...
Thoughts?

Watson

Last edited by Watson; 09-22-2022 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:14 PM

I have quilted tops on my longarm leaving just 2 inches on each side
Old 09-22-2022, 01:32 PM

Have you seen these? I have not seen the holy grail method yet for doing this. I am sure others with more expertise will chime in.

https://youtu.be/QvBMr-Sexew

https://youtu.be/f_Odb0hhKPI
Old 09-22-2022, 01:53 PM
mkc

The primary issue will be the bulk at either end of the take-up bar is going to increase twice as fast as that in the center. You'll end up with uneven pull as the quilt rolls on the take-up bar - increasing sag in the center as you go. The take-up will start pulling the edges faster then the center, creating a "smile" in the way the quilt is pulled (edges faster - larger diameter; center slower - smaller diameter). The side clamps can only do so much and don't help much with top-to-bottom tension.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:45 PM

I know nothing about this but I did a bit of a web search & found several videos by typing in "how to load a large quilt on a small long arm frame youtube". You might look at a few of those to see if you can find some tips that will help you with your problem. Knowing you like I do & with the help of other knowledgeable quilters on this board, I think you will find a way that works for you. You are very creative & seem to be able to work through your quilting issues.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:57 PM

What about turning the quilt a 1/4 turn on your frame so you head/foot are rolled instead of the sides? Would that work so everything fits on the frame properly? Just a thought.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:49 AM

Similar sort of idea to yours, but can you take the borders off the sides (or top, or top and bottom), quilt the center and then replace the borders and quilt them on your domestic?
Old 09-24-2022, 12:27 PM

I only have a 5 foot frame, andI have used it to quilt near king size quilts. No, it is not ideal, and likely not "professional", but I get the job done. I work in quadrants. so very similar to what you describe, but I off center it a little more, just to avoid running into the sides of frame at all. quilt a quadrant, rotate, and do it again. I do not quilt the whole way down the side of the quilt because of the bulk and pull as described by MKC. most of the time, I can get the whole quilt done in just those 4 sections. but other times, I cant. this is what I do in those cases...hope it makes sense. I use those snap on quilt clips to position the quilt on the back bar instead of pinning it to the leader on that bar, tucking the extra material and such out of the way of the machine. then conitnue to float the top as normal. This allows me to target specific areas that I missed or couldn't get to. I doubt you would have to resort to this method, but it is an option.
If you do this or even if you are able to do it in the simpler way you describe, or if you just minimize your side overhang, I highly recommend basting it very very well before doing any of it.