Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2022 >

What are we organizing today 2022

What are we organizing today 2022

Old 10-06-2022, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I can't believe it's been February since I last posted! Life has gotten in the way, but hopefully we're getting back to normal after MrOK 's Bone marrow transplant which has proved to be successful.
I have decided I have an expiration date...just not sure when. With that in mind I am going through fabrics and making quilt kits. I'm cutting pieces for the kits so I will be ready to sew. Also trying to be realistic about fabrics in the stash as to do I really like it or not.
I'm also cleaning out my EQ files eliminating quilts I won't make and writing instructions for several quilts I plan on sewing. Making progress on all counts.
Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 10-07-2022, 05:51 AM

I met a gal at our local thrift store in the fabric section and we hit it off. She came by the following Wednesday for coffee and to see my sewing room. I had told her I had a couple large totes full of fleece and velor fabrics that she could have so another reason to drop by. Her churck group make quilts and other items so this would come in handy.

Now we're getting together every Wednesday as her hubby comes into town for a 4hr stint at the hospital so time for us to get together. Found a few more items I no longer needed or used and asked if she could use them and yes, she could as she doesn't have a whole lot of money for her hobby. After she left I decided to go around the 2 rooms, check thru drawers and what was hanging up on the pegboard to see if there was anything I have never used, haven't used in a very long time or might have 2 of the same. So today is shopping day at the thrift shop (Friday) and I've filled a cardboard box full of stuff to give them to sell. Slowly but surely I'm destashing my sewing room along with other rooms in the house. Feels good!!

Also found some children's panels I know I'll never use so will check to see if my friend could use them and if not, the thrift shop will get them next Friday. Might go thru some of my fabrics too and see if any no longer talk to me. Since emptying out my large totes (35gal) I've been able to fill them with my partial bolts and pushed them under the quilt frame so my cutting room looks less cluttered on the floor. Such a nice feeling. I had a box under the ironing board and behind the cutting table and they were always in the way since 2018 when I went on that quilt bus tour.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:59 AM

I've been on a mission to organize my fabric better so I can actually see what I have and utilize my stash better. So I decided to get those comic boards to wrap my fabric in, and I'm very happy so far with the results. The little pieces I just fold and put in a pile, but the rest I wrap. My mom liked it so much, she just ordered a bunch of boards to wrap her batiks in! LOL.

Old 10-08-2022, 03:30 AM

Oksewglad, I would like to know how you go about preparing your kits. I’ve always admired those who are organized in doing kits.
I just lost a very dear friend of 30+ years who was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on June 27th and died 7 weeks later…so I agree we all have an expiration date. I have made an appointment for my first colonoscopy in December.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:31 AM

I can't believe I missed LogCabin82's post with those yummy pictures! Thanks for sharing them. Seeing someone else's organized fabric stash was just the push I needed to get some straightening done in my studio!

So, today I am working on making some Franken- batting out of scraps that are currently taking up a drawer. The stitched together batt will go with my other batts and the drawer will be used to store my wide backs. That will free up a drawer to store my unbleached muslin, whites and amish black yardage- Yay!

What's everyone else organizing today?

Rob
Old 10-20-2022, 10:15 AM

This week I'm corralling my 2.5 squares to make 16 piece blocks. They work up to 8.5 blocks finished that I turn into two half square triangles using left over neutrals. Sew them together to make colorful blocks for Project Linus backs. Most of my quilts for PL are twofers. Not sure which is the front or the back.

Making these blocks are really mindless sewing that I make while watching/listening to football. Last weekend I did more listening than watching since my team(s) weren't doing very well...

Someone asked my why I spend so much time on my quilt backs. I told her I was watchng an add for St Jude. Kiddo was laying in bed under a white blanket, white sheet, white pillow case and she was bald. I shouted to myself...she needs color!!! That's wly almost all of my quilts are twofers rather they go to PL or someone else.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
I was watchng an add for St Jude. Kiddo was laying in bed under a white blanket, white sheet, white pillow case and she was bald. I shouted to myself...she needs color!!! That's wly almost all of my quilts are twofers rather they go to PL or someone else.
I love double-sided quilts and love your reasoning here, Julienm1. I've always liked the utility of having a second side to enjoy (and not needing vast amounts of a single fabric for a backing), but your idea really appeals to the emotional value invested in a quilt by the maker and provides a lovely surprise for the recipient. :-)
Old 10-22-2022, 03:51 AM

I am back to cleaning up my sewing space.... again. I went to a retreat last weekend and carefully unpacked all the tools and projects, but somehow the odds and ends have fluttered all about. I need to regroup and put projects together and return the scraps large and small to their color bins and create a better sense of peace and purpose to my sewing room again. Just another round of caring for my work space,
Old 10-30-2022, 08:46 AM

I always thought that quilt backs was the other side of the quilt, I alway considered them double sided.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:57 AM

I have put fabrics together with the pattern in mind then later found use for one of the fabrics I had put aside. What do you do then