Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative Grids 4.5" squaring ruler >

Creative Grids 4.5" squaring ruler

Creative Grids 4.5" squaring ruler

Old 10-08-2022, 11:51 AM

I have not afforded this one yet, but it makes sense to me to make two cuts and then press it open (for half square triangles). It comes in a several versions. For instance one is for whole and another is for 1/2 inch increments, I believe. I copied this from the Missouri Star website to explain the Clearly Perfect Slotted Trimmer. It looked interesting to me when I saw it demonstrated at Quilt Festival in Houston.

The Clearly Perfect Slotted Trimmers are an easy, efficient, and accurate way to square up half-square triangles. Simply align the seam of an unpressed half-square triangle with dashed lines and trim all four sides. The edge slots allow you to trim off the dog ears at the same time! It can also be used for squaring up hourglass quilt blocks, strip piecing half-square triangles, strip-tube quilt lock constructions, and fussy cutting. The B2 trims full inch sizes from 1" to 10".
Old 10-08-2022, 02:08 PM

I really like using my accuquilt for half sq. triangles and quarter sq. triangles. When you spray starch your fabric and load it in the right direction, they are very precise. Also the cut off dog ears create a nice blunted starting sew line for you instead of having to deal with pointed fabric ends. In some cases, like in doing multiple 2 1/2" half square triangles, it is a god send, as they have a die that makes 6 triangle squares at a time, and I always lay 4 pieces of fabric on in a pass,, I get 24 HST in a single pass.

I know we were talking rulers, but I thought I would inject that as well, as what we are aiming for is accuracy in the end.
Also, I should note when it comes to squaring up larger squares (over 6") I like using the perfect size square ruler as well.
But would like to mention that I find doing so with small size rulers is much more difficult as there tendency to move is much greater the smaller they are. If you still want to do this with one of the smaller sizes, then I would get sandpaper type of tape and put it on designated square rulers used just for the purpose of squaring up. Just buying a cheap set of square sizes with the sandpaper tape will serve you well, and your fabric is guaranteed not to move.

One other consideration is the mat your using. The surface material used on a mat is a big factor in the fabric not moving on the board as well. I several different mats, but the Olfa is the winner when it comes to grabbing the fabric and not letting it slip. If you don't have one, I would get their 12" x 18" one. They are a reasonable price and good for squaring up a lot of block sizes.

Last edited by Schill93; 10-08-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
I like to use a ruler about 2 inches bigger than the block. I want to see all the fabric under the ruler lines. I usually stand to trim the blocks for more control of the ruler and rotary cutter.

For HST blocks I want the diagonal line going through the center of the ruler.
I agree. I find the extra size and weight of a larger ruler gives me more area to hold down the ruler so I get better precision.

Leslie
Old 10-09-2022, 04:27 AM

I've had hundreds of 4 patch blocks lately for a scrap quilts and so I've ordered the 4.5 Creative Grids ruler from Amazon. I have several rulers that are larger and would have done the trick, but I would have had to move and turn a larger ruler to the point of driving me crazy for this many blocks. This old woman (70) is a firm believer in using whatever makes things easier for me.