Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommended Sewing Machine? >

Recommended Sewing Machine?

Recommended Sewing Machine?

Old 10-03-2022, 08:53 PM

I use a Brother Project Runway and I really enjoy it.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:43 AM

I have a Janome Gem, too. When I was taking a class I found that even if I cut carefully and used the 1/4" foot, my blocks weren't coming out the right size. I discovered the 1/4" foot was off and moving the needle position corrected that. Otherwise it is a good machine, lightweight and perfect for taking to classes.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:47 AM

Go to a shop that sells machines try them out see what you like , also ask a lot of questions good luck. Sewing machines are like cars everyone will have their favorite. Good luck
Old 10-05-2022, 03:54 PM

I have owned just about every brand and I love vintage. But when the metal hits the pedal a great machine is your best friend. And you aren't going to know which one until you try them. Lots of people love Bernina and I guess I'd take it if it was offered to me, but is not my fav machine. I think Babylock/Brother can't be beaten if you do embroidery, but my fav sewing machine is my Juki. I started out with the 2000tl which is straight stitch only, but it is a beast for just a consumer machine. My problem with most of the machines with lots of stitches is the govenor (or whatever stops the motor from piercing difficult piecing). The Juki goes over thick seams like none of the other machines. I have the NX7 Kirei. It's got lots of stitches and does all the fancy things and is tougher than the other brands. Everyone has a fav machine and has their reasons, so just keep reading and find a dealer with a range of different brands.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:14 PM

You will get lots of ideas on here, but it is kind of like buying a car - you have to try em out and talk to friends about what they have. My favorite is my Janome 6600 Professional but it might be more than you want as far as features and price go. Just take your time and do your research. Have fun entering the quilting world.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:55 AM

Lots of good suggestions here. I only have a couple. Find a shop that sells machines so you can sit down and actually do a demo, and that offers free classes to teach you how to use the machine after you have purchased it. You will find that you will feel comfortable with some machines, and not so comfortable with others so trust the feeling you get when you demo a machine. Do not buy the machine that is your second choice. You will regret making that choice every time you sit down to sew on it. If you are looking to quilt on a machine, be sure it has room for the quilting, a higher throat and a longer bed. Good luck! Looking is half the fun!