Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Thanksgiving...same old, same old, or? >

Thanksgiving...same old, same old, or?

Thanksgiving...same old, same old, or?

Old 11-03-2022, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I can't find prime rib here now. Butcher said all of it is going to restaurants. We love prime rib but not at a restaurant.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:36 AM

The holidays are just my husband and I so we do whatever we feel like. One year we had spaghetti with homemade meatballs. That was one of the best Thanksgivings (IMHO). I'm not sure my mom knew what to think of it, but it was a good meal and I was making it so I figured I could do what I wanted.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:45 AM

We do prime rib, son makes it and brings it. I do candied sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, noodles cooked in chicken stock, Brussel sprouts, scalloped corn, pecan pie, cherry cheese cake and peach cobbler. Cucumber and onions. Try to have one thing special for most of my loved ones. Some times we have apple crisp and of course dinner rolls. My loved ones appreciate that mom/grandma has one of their favorites.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:02 AM

If your traditional meal is turkey based, why not switch to ham instead? Or vice-versa. Still traditional but different.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

We travel to the PNW for thanksgiving and we are in a self proclaimed rut with the main meal because we all still like it. There are 10 regulars and some other guests usually. Daughter in law likes to make desserts so there are some favorites and some new ones. That's where the changes are. I make the turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes. Someone peels them. Daughter in law does rest by her choice and we are all around to visit while she cooks - open concept so not crowded in kitchen. Son cleans up. Like I said - rut by choice!!
Old 11-03-2022, 11:43 AM

One time I wanted a Virginia cured ham. Long story and the result was great fun with the guests remembering traditions from home. We were all transplants. Anyway, a butcher special ordered it. He was even in on the fun.

This makes me remember, we’re transplants to Florida as are many of our friends. Maybe ask a few of them and to bring a dish from their neck of the woods. Hmmmmm. As with the ham, it might be hard to get ingredients.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:18 PM

Your Thanksgiving is like our Christmas. But we have evolved. I guess it started with me. Once son and daughter agreed to each take a turn at hosting, I tried lasagna one year--didn't feel right. Another time my turn came around, I decided I just didn't want to cook and we ordered Chinese from the restaurant in town (which meant someone had to stay DD until we picked it up, since they didn't deliver--uggh) It was okay but again, not a winner.

Sooo, when it is son's turn, DIL does a killer turkey (she learned from a cookbook!) but her gravy sucks so one of us usually 'helps'. Daughter makes a fantastic beef tenderloin that is unbelievable!! Won't even try to compete with that!! And for my turn, I will do either a spiral cut ham with homemade scalloped potatoes and scalloped cauli for our keto followers, or a turkey.

Daughter, the baker, always brings a dessert, no matter who is hosting. Her date cake with rum caramel sauce is a favourite. Ummm but so are her individual lava cakes. But we also really like her pumpkin pie.....need I say more?
Old 11-03-2022, 03:31 PM

We ARE mixing up the tradition this year!

I'm ordering a tray of chicken parm and lasagna from our favorite restaurant. It will be ready for pick up on Wednesday afternoon. On Thanksgiving, we'll have a play day out in the boat out with our kids and grandson. If the weather allows off-shore adventures, the boys will fish that day.

Either way we will Rhond-day-vous for dinner in the late afternoon or early evening. Easy and no stress. I won't be in the kitchen for 3 days to make a meal and do all that clean-up!
Old 11-03-2022, 07:18 PM

Our daughter was aghast when I said I’d be serving an apple dessert. She reminded me pumpkin pie needs to be on the menu because it’s Grandpa’s favorite. Her case was made & we had pumpkin pie. We don’t vary the Thanksgiving menu except maybe a side dish.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:14 PM

We have the usual faire.....turkey, 2 kinds of stuffing (giblet (for hubby and sausage for the rest of us), mashed potatoes, homemade turkey gravy, cranberry sauce and roast brussel sprouts with bacon. Yeast rolls and a Peach pie, a Pumpkin pie for desert.

Christmas is Lasagna and cesear salad along with garlic butter with parmasean toasted Italian bread.