Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh that hump of a lump >

Oh that hump of a lump

Oh that hump of a lump

Old 11-06-2022, 01:19 AM

MaryKa, this is also time to be sure you have a brand new needle in your machine, and try a different size/type. I suggest a size larger Microtex. It is so frustrating when something so simple as sewing a seam gives us trouble. Hope the suggestions help solve your problem.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:19 AM

I ran into this same problem yesterday! I adjusted by quilting slower, and when the walking foot got stuck moving forward, I stopped with the needle down, then raised and lowered the presser foot. This seemed to "release" the hump tension enough to continue forward again.
Old 11-06-2022, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by jacqueck View Post
MaryKa, this is also time to be sure you have a brand new needle in your machine, and try a different size/type.
I was going to suggest the same. A dull needle has a hard time piercing multiple layers.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:16 AM

I've used hump jumpers for years and they are the best. You can put them in front or in back of the foot or do as I do and move from front to back and any machine will sew right over those thick spots with no problem. As Sewingpup said, I have very little problem with my Berninas but some of the other machines aren't as good at thick seams and the hump jumper solves that.

Mine is very old but this seems to be similar https://www.wawak.com/sewing/sewing-...ts#sku=prt6101

Its also sometimes called a Jean-Ma-Jig
Old 11-06-2022, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I have used the jean humper for years. The Jean of a Jig use to be sent in quilt advertizing mail as a free gift. Same as the hera markers. I miss the days of free gifts in the mailers. I remember one year so many hera markers were sent out, quilters were making earrings out of them to wear to quilt shows.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:53 AM

I've never had that problem with my Janome, but now if I do, I will know what to do. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
pressing seams open and flat before piecing top together is the thing to do.
perhaps you could lay your quilt on the floor and place a piece of wood and hit those seam bumps with a hammer to help them lay a bit more flat. I used to use hump jumpers long ago in sewing but haven't done so in years. Otherwise plan your quilting to go around those obstacles with the quilting design. you might break a needle if you continue to try and stitch over bumps.
When I ran a big dept store alterations dept, we used this method on bulky seams . On jeans if we would use a pliers ( jaws wrapped with adhesive tape to indie no damage to the fabric) on the flat fell seams before stitching.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:21 AM

This is a trick I used for lumpy seams when I taught tailoring: Heat the seam. Using some steam is good, too, or spraying the lumping area with a bit of water helps. Then hit it with a rubber mallet! I think you'll be happy with the result and able to stitch over the seams. Pulling the fabric a bit from the back of the presser foot can help, too.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:45 PM

I experienced the same problem a few years ago when I briefly owned an 8900 but I no longer have that machine or that problem. To me, it just didn't have the 'umph' to get through and over those seams no matter what needle I used. I hope the suggestions made work for you!
Old 11-06-2022, 01:53 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I never heard of a hump jumper, that certainly is an apt name. I'll have to look into it. I'm going slow over the humps and trying to push and pull the fabric, and sometimes lift the presser foot up if it's having an especially hard time, but still, it likes to do its own thing. Strange that sometimes it sews through without a problem. I do like the idea of hammering down the seams, I can see how that would help a bit.