Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh that hump of a lump >

Oh that hump of a lump

Oh that hump of a lump

Old 11-06-2022, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Does your foot have a little black button on the back of it? If it does, push that just before you reach the seam. It adjust your foot to help get over the seam. Failing that did you get a hump jumper with your machine? It will help you get over the bulky seam. I have two Janomes and they both have the black button they both came with a hump jumper. Hump jumpers can be purchased.
No black button on my presser foot, just a red one to release the foot altogether.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
also are you trying to actually stitch in the ditch? or next to it? with your bumps it might work stitching 1/4 inch away from the seams. and yes a walking foot does help. Again, good luck.
Right now I'm not doing either, I'm just putting the blocks together. It's a sampler quilt with 72 different 4.5" squares. The square I just finished is made up of 8 small flying geese (1.5" x 2.5"), there were lots of bulky seams, close to one another, in this one.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:12 PM

I think it was Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day that would at times go back and use scissors to snip the seam near the bump and then press them flat going around in a circle. old trick. I do hope you get it all worked out. let us know.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
Right now I'm not doing either, I'm just putting the blocks together. It's a sampler quilt with 72 different 4.5" squares. The square I just finished is made up of 8 small flying geese (1.5" x 2.5"), there were lots of bulky seams, close to one another, in this one.
You have lots of good answers here. Pulling gently from the back usually works for me. A hump jumper is such a bother if you use it on every seam. But one thing that should've been mentioned was to trim away some of the seam allowance. Those little pointy triangles can be trimmed quite close, and be sure to press the seams so that they don't pile up in the same spot. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:36 AM

Ok, so now I am thinking. I am wondering if any of my specialty feet might work better on those really thick seams. I know the walking foot would help. I also have a "jeans" foot for my Bernina. It is supposed to help you stitch thicker fabrics and handle those thick seams on jeans along with a "jeans" needle and straight stitch plate. I also have a very strange zipper foot for my Viking which is a long foot that is bent in a curve at both ends to help you go over thicker parts. Of course, I would have to figure out how to get my quarter inch seam for these feet. ummmm......???? I will have to experiment a bit here! I usually don't have too much problems with the thicker seams but now I am curious
Old 11-09-2022, 07:54 AM

My Janome 8200 has the same problem. It's very frustrating. My Berninas don't seem to have any issue with a thick seam, so I sew on them most of the time.