Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Anyone Know What This Is? >

Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Old 11-09-2022, 06:37 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a Sew Steady Straight Guide. You view a demo for it here: Sew Steady Straight Guide video.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shepherdess55 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a Sew Steady Straight Guide. You view a demo for it here: Sew Steady Straight Guide video.
I think you might be right. You would think they would put their name on it so you could do some advertising for them when you use it or post pictures with it.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:49 AM

My best guess would be that it's an attachment to give the perfect 1/4" seam. Suction cups hold it down to the table and your pressure foot goes where it's indented. Fabric slides along the long acrylic pieces.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
My best guess would be that it's an attachment to give the perfect 1/4" seam. Suction cups hold it down to the table and your pressure foot goes where it's indented. Fabric slides along the long acrylic pieces.
But then wouldn't the fabric be distorted because the fabric that would be in the guide would be higher than the bottom of the pressure foot, so it would have to go down under the pressure foot as you sewed. And if there isn't a place for the fabric to slide into, then the suction cups would be in the way.

As for as the Sew Steady - it's not the same. The Sew Steady is solid, without a cut out. And, Sew Steady does have their name and the name and item number of the product on their pieces. This does not. I have a lot of Sew Steady pieces and every single one has their name etched into it and the item number and name of the piece.

I don't know what it is, but pretty sure it isn't either of these pieces. Are you sure it is sewing related?

Last edited by quiltsfor; 11-10-2022 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

It looks like a seam guide. Here is one similar.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:50 AM

Let me explain a little more than my previous comment. The acrylic piece goes to the throat side of the machine with the indentation facing to the left. Your sewing foot fits in there and fabric slides butted up against the acrylic piece not underneath it. It would give the perfect seam allowance each time.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shepherdess55 View Post
That’s it!!! Thanks so much.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

It does look like a seam guide, just not the one made by Sew Steady.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKa View Post
I just clicked on the attached image and it popped up a larger image then I clicked on that one and again it increased--on my computer.
Yes I know how to enlarge pictures on the computer, but when I enlarged the original, it just got blurry and pixelated. No bueno.

Thank you Charle for posting the second, larger picture, I was able to see that one clearly. I'm glad the others were able to solve the mystery for you!
Old 11-10-2022, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Let me explain a little more than my previous comment. The acrylic piece goes to the throat side of the machine with the indentation facing to the left. Your sewing foot fits in there and fabric slides butted up against the acrylic piece not underneath it. It would give the perfect seam allowance each time.
Ahh, that makes sense to my muggled brain. Sorry 'bout that. For some reason I was thinking that it went on top of or with the fabric. Don't mind me. I was up most of the night with allergies. Darn weather can't decide what season it is. Much better now after my after lunch nap!