Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I use serger thread? >

Can I use serger thread?

Can I use serger thread?

Old 11-13-2022, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
Mavi, TY for the quck reply. l don't have a thread stand, Any suggestions what I can use?
Place the thread in a coffee mug behind your machine. Tape a paper clip behind your machine near where the normal spool of thread would be and run the thread through the paper clip before it takes the normal path to the needle. Works well for me.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I use Maxi Loc serger thread for both piecing and on my long arm. My long arm likes it better than expensive Superior thread, as I have tried it as well, and it kept breaking. Maybe what you are using is old, but I have never had any problem with breaking and I know some of mine I have had around for quite awhile.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:05 AM

Remember that if you're pressing with a cotton setting on your iron, serger thread is polyester. Use a polyester setting on your iron.

I prefer 100% cotton thread for working on 100% cotton fabric. It just makes sense to me. I buy 50 wt. Guterman on the big cone or 800 meter spool.

Polyester thread stretches, so I use it on stretchy fabrics and synthetic fabrics.

I do use Maxilock on my longarm and it works fine.

Serger thread is 2 threads twisted together. Regular sewing thread has a core with 2 or 3 threads wrapped around it.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Julie, you can find a thread stand pretty cheaply on Amazon. I got one and like it a lot.