Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
organizing a sewing space from scratch >

organizing a sewing space from scratch

organizing a sewing space from scratch

Old 03-15-2016, 09:11 AM

We just purchased as a surprise Birthday gift for a quilting friend - a 70" roller blind to make a design wall and attached flannette to it using Krylon spray adhesive glue and white duck tape along the sides, top and bottom. We also painted white on a 4 ft x 6 ft peg board so she can hang all her rotary cutters, rulers, stencils, etc.
We also found a clear plastic sheet which has clear tubes on it and hangs over the back of a door where she can store her thread. Her husband knows we are going to install these items in her sewing room, and he has a white wire shelf to put up - to hold the blind. I think she will be very happy, as now she uses a flannel covered outdoor tablecloth which she hung with green painters tape and her rulers, thread and things are everywhere.......in a very small room,
Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 PM

I have a Lifetime banquet table that I put on bed risers for my cutting table. It's six feet long and I absolutely love using it. You'll probably want to live with your stuff for a little while. I've rearranged a few times since we moved down here in October due to just getting used to the new space. I've also set up an L shaped configuration in one corner for quilting and am planning to set up a piecing station where I can look out the window. I'm using a regular ironing board currently but am fine with that for now. We installed wall to wall cabinetry from IKEA which gives me a lot of storage. Enjoy planning your space.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:14 PM

First of all, I notice that you are in Houston. Converting a garage to use to sew in Houston would be a considerable undertaking because of the need for air conditioning and insulation not only because of the heat but to keep everything from getting damp due to humidity. We have a gas heater in our garage but no air conditioning and even though it's shaded, it's hotter than anything out there in the summer.

I keep my smaller amounts of fabric in boxes on the walls above eye level so that I can have tables for my sewing machines and work space under them. That way the storage isn't taking up floor space. I'm fortunate to have a large sewing room with lots of closet space that I utilize for larger cuts of fabrics and anything else I want to stash out of sight.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:18 AM

Zozee hit on the truly high points. I love having a room strictly for storing all of my fabric in. This is like a really large walk in closet with no windows and shelving on all the walls to store fabric. I really love having my fabric on shelves so I can see what I have. Also it makes it easier to retrieve not having to sort through bins for it. Make sure you plan on a large design wall with nothing in front of it. 8' long and floor to ceiling works great. Task lighting is also a must as I get older I really need that extra light to avoid eye strain. Peg board for hanging rulers, cutters, etc.
Have a great time looking for that just right house.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:49 AM

My sewing room was my daughter's room. We had a Murphy Bed put in so I would have the space. When I first set up the room I had a a treadle sewing machine and my 15-91 (which is in a cabinet). I also bought a computer desk for my TV and DVD player. It has a keyboard shelf that stores my rulers and storage underneath. This was 10 years ago. As time has passed, I have bought a Janome MC600P and a Husqvarna Topaz 20 (an embroidery/sewing machine) to add to the other 2 machines. My DD left behind a large cabinet that I use for fabric and the closet is a full wall length closet for storage. IKEA has some very reasonable priced wire shelves that I put in the closet with the boxes of fabric.

My ironing board is a large one, but I also made a large board to fit on top, so it can be stored behind a door when not in use. My cutting table folds up and is a full length mirror when not used for cutting fabric or sandwiching a quilt. (It is used a lot to wrap packages, too.)

Know one thing - your room will change over time. As you get more involved you will need to change around. When I started quilting I never planned to own an embroidery machine, in fact, I refused to even look at the for years. Then wanted more decorative stitches and the machine I bought have both. Personally I would insist on having a room in the house unless you have a finished garage. When I was in Houston 2 years ago the humidity was so thick it was hard to breath, I cannot believe that would bode well for machines and stored fabric.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 03-16-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:41 PM

You have received a lot of good ideas here. Good luck in your organization, I am sure it will be great! Please share what you decide to do.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:26 AM

To d.Rickman.....Wow! I wish I had a friend like you! Well done!
Old 11-17-2022, 10:11 AM

Deep shelves!!! I have them along one wall, plastic boxes about 5"H and 18"L that stack two deep, also use plastic shoe boxes for scraps, ribbon, etc. Shelves are great for helping me be organized. Also shelves on walls, about 6"X18" for small things used frequently.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

The only advice I took when searching for a new home we could afford at the time was to buy bigger then we though we needed. Do not compromise on number of rooms or bathrooms thinking we can make this work. It is not worth it in the long run. We bought a large home that needed some fixes for less then a newer smaller home. The fixes could be done but adding more rooms and space could not.