Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fun or Special Quilt Ruler? >

Fun or Special Quilt Ruler?

Fun or Special Quilt Ruler?

Old 11-22-2022, 04:15 PM

Default Fun or Special Quilt Ruler?

If you were going to put a specialty quilt ruler on your wish list which one would you get? I'm looking for fun ideas. I have the basic rulers, but was thinking of asking for something unique!

Old 11-22-2022, 05:25 PM

My favourite is the Westalee Circles on Quilts ruler. You can do multiple sizes of circles and Baptist Fan and it is a lot easier than it looks!

Watson
Old 11-22-2022, 05:58 PM

So Kind of Wonderful patterns call for a "quick Curve Ruler" I have one and patterns to make with it on my To Do list. I have a very long ToDo
Old 11-22-2022, 06:22 PM

I've been having fun making Mariner's Compass blocks with the Robin Ruth Fat Robin ruler. Here's a link: https://www.robinruthdesign.com/quilt-gallery
Old 11-22-2022, 07:25 PM

I just revisited the "So Kind of Wonderful" website: Best Selection of Contemporary Quilt Patterns – Sew Kind of Wonderful. I see new patterns and a couple of videos. OK, so what to do next? I have so many projects started!
Old 11-22-2022, 10:43 PM

Okay hang on.... are we talking about piecing rulers or quilting rulers?

For piecing, if you really want a specialty ruler that has a ton of possibilities and a whole slew of patterns ready to go, I vote for the Sew Kind of Wonderful Quick Curve ruler. I've made 2 sample quilts for my LQS, the patterns are very well written and the quilts are fun to make.

For quilting, longarm or DSM, that really depends A LOT on what kind of quilting you like to do and what kind of quilting you want to learn to do. And your skill level. I do love Bethanne Nemesh's rulers, they are pretty "specialty".
Old 11-23-2022, 03:14 AM

My birthday is coming up, and I am contemplating whether I'd use a 16.5" square.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by ToBoldlyQuilt View Post
My birthday is coming up, and I am contemplating whether I'd use a 16.5" square.
I use my large square rarely but when It is needed it makes all the difference in the ease of squaring up bigger blocks. I grabbed it when it was 50% off and have not regretted it.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I use my large square rarely but when It is needed it makes all the difference in the ease of squaring up bigger blocks. I grabbed it when it was 50% off and have not regretted it.
This is the thing, I'm a modern quilter, and it's rare for me to make anything with a consistent block size. I'm doing so now, for the first time in many years, and they're 14" equilateral triangle blocks! I'm not even sure I've ever made a quilt with 12" square blocks.

I recently got a set of squares that are 4.5", 6", 9.5" and 12.5", and I'm definitely using them for this and that. I'll pay attention to how much I use the 12.5".
Old 11-23-2022, 04:02 AM

More of an essential than specialty but I love the slotted ruler for cutting strips and shapes. They make a bigger one 18×22 that can cut single folded yardage. Mine is 12x12 so I have to fold twice.