Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 11-24-2022, 06:35 AM

Easing into it here! My husband worked holidays frequently enough that we always had a traditional "alternate" meal - mom's special lasagna with homemade pasta. This year, our daughter will be arriving later this afternoon, so she requested the traditional alternate. That means tomorrow will be filled with all of the cooking that goes along with the American Thanksgiving meal. I'll likely have enough time to read the clues, but not much else. On the other hand, she's going home Saturday and my husband will be gone all day. So there may be some weekend sewing to be done!
Old 11-24-2022, 11:03 AM

I've been able to do very little cutting lately due to an uncooperative back, so it's definitely going to be easing in for me. I'm hoping the excitement and fun of the mystery will spill over and help motivate me in putting together the sampler that's on my wall. Once I finished the blocks, which were fun and challenging, I'm having to really push myself to stick with the more tiresome job of getting the sashing sewn onto the blocks.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:55 AM

I'm about half-way between full throttle and ease into it. I've set aside tomorrow afternoon for quilting, so depending on how much cutting and sewing the first clue takes I might be finished. I'm only doing half the units. But I also have the cutting and initial piecing for Cuts and Bolts NYE mystery to do, although I do have a month to get that done.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:15 PM

My ordered fabric isn’t here yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:55 PM

Hope it comes soon! Do you have other fabrics you are going to use? Hoping you have something you can work on tomorrow! I think I have all the fabrics I need was able to add a couple of teal/aqua's and one orange found in a local shop last week. I am crazy I think, because I am planning on using This mystery as a sort of leader/ender project while I finish up a couple of UFO's. I have my main machine set up for those and my travel Bernina is going to be used for the mystery as we mostly will likely be working with the smaller units first. Hoping to watch Netflix while stitching on the mystery and the little machine is set up in front of the TV.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:19 AM

Woo Hoo! Clue's up. Here's a reminder to anyone who prints in print friendly mode. (Yes, I forgot this morning) Go to the print friendly tab inside the article and click. If you get two columns of writing, you are there. I don't have word and have never been able to delete the photos. So this is the best I can do. Happy Sewing Y'all.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:35 AM

Here is the link for those who may want/need it. I am looking forward to watching everyones progress and cheering you all on!

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2022...-part-one.html
Old 11-25-2022, 05:57 AM

As usual, great directions in the clue and tips to make you a better pieced for ll your quilts. But don’t skip over right to the directions. The introductory paragraph has reminders about how to share your progress: no unit counts or units sizes and don’t take photos on top of a gridded cutting map. Looks like a fun clue to ease us into the project. Happy piecing everyone.

Edited to add: Remember, this is not a race. Some people will finish the clue quickly and that’s okay. Others will just do a few to get a feeling for what needs to be accomplished and that too is okay. Work at your own pace and enjoy the process.

Last edited by SuzSLO; 11-25-2022 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
As usual, great directions in the clue and tips to make you a better pieced for ll your quilts. But don’t skip over right to the directions. The introductory paragraph has reminders about how to share your progress: no unit counts or units sizes and don’t take photos on top of a gridded cutting map..
Thanks for the reminder about the rules which leads me to a question.
Here’s the first question on the Board about the mystery:

Can I look at the count in that I will need to make a whole lot of a block in one particular size. Then take some of those blocks and continue on to making another block into a bigger block?

Old 11-25-2022, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by jemedwards View Post
Thanks for the reminder about the rules which leads me to a question.
Here’s the first question on the Board about the mystery:

Can I look at the count in that I will need to make a whole lot of a block in one particular size. Then take some of those blocks and continue on to making another block into a bigger block?
Hi Jemedwards!

Yes...you have the idea! She typically calls these pieces "units" in that they aren't a block in themselves, but parts of blocks. The putting together of the blocks with the units is typically one of the last things she releases. I've also seen the early units become part of the sashing!