Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for small projects >

Ideas for small projects

Ideas for small projects

Old 12-05-2022, 05:24 AM

Default Ideas for small projects

Last summer I bought a June Taylor Quilt as you Go mug mat package with dog-related sayings, as I wanted to make one for a friend. I made the rest (all stash fabric!), and decided to make some more for prizes for my dog club's obedience trial.

Then I needed prizes for other placements (up to 20 each), so I made quilted potholders, coasters, and non-quilted tissue pack holders. Then I remembered we had 2 days of shows, so I needed more stuff--ended up with embroidered rope bowls, small cloth trays, and free-standing lace pawprints.

Good news--shows were this weekend and prizes were well received. Bad news--more shows are coming up in March, and I'm out of "cool ideas" for quick, fairly inexpensive projects. Can anyone share their favorites?? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:13 AM

Wow - what a lot of great ideas! I don't have much to offer but I've made a few reusable gift bags out of orphan blocks lined with broadcloth (no batting). I tie the top of the bags closed with ribbon - they really are very simple and can be any size.

I also look forward to seeing what others might suggest here and would love to see pictures of your prizes if you have any!
Old 12-05-2022, 06:35 AM

Default Photo as requested

Trying to upload a photo...had to resize the file first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	498211FA-40CD-4D6A-9FDF-864AE0E19FC0.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	641696  
Old 12-05-2022, 07:46 AM

I love those. I bid on one of those little square one's years ago at our local quilt auction where folks brought their orphan blocks, members picked one, made something out of it, it got brought a few months later and was auctioned off to the same guild members. anyway, the proceeds go to filling our holiday stockings (also a guild project) to give to a shelter for the holidays. anyway, I keep my little square box just behind and to the right of my machine and it holds everything. Tweezers, seam ripper, spare needles in a box, a small snipper, safety pins, even a small ruler, etc. I could not be without it now.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:01 AM

Oh my goodness, what lovely gifts/prizes! I certainly can't improve on/add to those beyond what I've already said. However, I'll keep my eyes open for ideas for you!
Old 12-05-2022, 08:12 AM

Your work is lovely! This site has lots of ideas https://sewcanshe.com/crafty-little-things-to-sew/
Old 12-05-2022, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Maybe a little cloth bag to hold plastic bags for putting doggy do do in. Little chap stick holder to clip on your purse. Your projects are really cute!
Old 12-05-2022, 03:54 PM

I love your little gifties!

Cord wraps and name tag lanyards come to mind.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the ideas, and the kind words. I appreciate both!
Old 12-05-2022, 07:45 PM

How about a boutique tissue box cover? They only take a fat quarter of fabric and some ribbon, and sew up quite quickly.