Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your sewing machine >

Where is your sewing machine

Where is your sewing machine

Old 12-12-2022, 01:31 AM

Default Where is your sewing machine

Went over to new quiltilng friend's house and of course ended up in her sewing room. Noticed her sewing machine is in the middle of her sewing room. Hmmmm. Mine is against the wall, under a window. Why? Because when I'm quilting using my domestic sewing machine, it keeps the quilt from falling off the edge causing drag. She doesn't have a long arm.

So...where is your sewing machilne/table. Against a wall or in the middle of the room?
Old 12-12-2022, 01:59 AM

My machine is against a wall. I pull out my portable sewing table and set up more in the middle of the room when sewing on borders and rows. I prefer to spread out when doing those .
Old 12-12-2022, 02:23 AM

I don’t like to be facing a wall. At all. Gives me the creeps, don’t like the idea of someone sneaking up on me. Plus I like to watch tv while I sew. Mine isn’t in the middle of the room, but it does face outwards into the room.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	820EC47C-DA32-4F5B-B868-CD594AD5144C.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	641822  
Old 12-12-2022, 02:42 AM

Mine is by a window also, and I like to watch the birds and bees in the crabapple tree outside. The window faces the street so I see everyone in the neighborhood coming and going, too. I've had it facing a wall before but this is my happiest spot. My sewing room is also our guest room, so I need to give it up sometimes and usually keep it [somewhat] clean just in case.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:01 AM

My sewing studio is basically a one bedroom apartment above our garage. My sewing area is the living room. My sewing "table" is about 6'x8' and butts up against a large window, but is not against the wall on the other three sides. My main straight stitch machine sits on the end near the window, looking but not facing it. So I can look out the window, but also see if someone (DH) enters the room. My LA is in the large bedroom and my stash is in the large walk in closet.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:24 AM

My sewing table sits against the window that faces the driveway/side yard with the bird feeders. The room is small and has three doors (2 under the staircase closet doors, 1 pocket door (my entrance) and two windows. Also contains a cutting table, an ironing table top with storage underneath and two chest of drawers to hold fabric. Not much room in there at all.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:32 AM

Cindi, your space is sooo organized. My 40 year old Bernina domestic machine is in the middle of the room in her original sewing cabinet. I found that locating in front of the window blocked my access to backside of machine area.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:50 AM

My sewing table is set up facing a window, but it is about 3 feet from the window. I like that I can drape over the front edge of the table when I am sewing to keep the fabric flowing. I like that I can walk around my table so that I can get the dust/fabric snips and threads off of the floor easily with a swiffer dust mop.

I like looking out the window from time to time to rest my eyes, and to watch our resident wildlife (our house is in the middle of woods)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:37 AM

For borders, sashes and binding I use my small Brother machine at the end of my 4x8 cutting table. This way, the quilt is not constantly falling to the floor and causing issues while I stitch. This little Brother machine is lite weight so easy to move to the floor when not in use too. It has quite a few fancy stitches and stitches nicely which is a plus. Only thing it doesn't have is automatic needle threading. I've been spoiled with that on my big machine.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I waited a long time to have my own room. For the past 7 years it has been a small upstairs bedroom that overlooks green space in a subdivision. I can see birds in trees and that's about it. My machine table faces those windows and there are blinds if the few times a year the sun gets in my eyes. I don't have a real stash so fabric fading isn't a thing. I find I don't like to sew at night even though I have a lot of really good lighting. But daytime is wonderful.