Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS sticker shock. >

LQS sticker shock.

LQS sticker shock.

Old 12-13-2022, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Okay, looked this up and JoAnn's apparently is planning on closing some stores, but they are not going out of business.

A guild member is manager of JoAnn's . I asked her about the store closing. She said stores in areas with a lot of shop lifting will probably be closing down. Shoplifting rarely get the police to come anymore in some areas. No way to stop the theft.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:04 PM

Yup, and it is going to get worse before it ever gets better. I am thankful for my stash , I have a limit too as to what I will spend on fabric, but right now will only purchase backing fabrics if needed.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:11 AM

I buy all my fabrics online, usually from Quilted Twins in Dade City. Their prices are very reasonable and fast shipping.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:18 AM

I do not care for the fabrics by Tilda....just too wild for my taste. I do tend to buy leftover fabric from Facebook that someone wants to get rid of...but only if they are a name brand such as Riley Blake, Quilting Treasures, and Moda of course. With making smaller charity quilts, so many smaller pieces work for me. I was in Walmart yesterday and they are getting rid of all the bolts of fabric and only keeping the precut packaged stuff.
Still, I saw a fat quarter bundle from Green Fairy Fabrics this morning that was on sale for $78. I'm seriously considering it for a new Christmas quilt for my couch or a present for someone next year.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:06 AM

And that's why I quit buying fabric. I have a good amount of stash to last me my life time. When I go to search for a pattern and the fabrics to go with it, I just make it work with what I have on hand. Luckily I have a good amount of quilting thread as well as embroidery threads, stabilizers and enough batting to finish the quilts I've started but may not have finished. I'll have to worry about the next set of quilts when the time comes. But until that time comes, I can't let it bother me. Plus I have enough scraps to make a couple 4-5 quilts too so I'm good for now. I feel sorry for those just getting starting into this hobby as it could turn them away from it altogether.

I've been cleaning out my sewing room of fleece, threads, lace, etc to a friend I met at the thrift shop. She has a group of ladies at her church that make quilts for charities, etc so have been giving her 1st stab at what I'm giving away. Otherwise, it will go to my thrift shop. Have already given 7 large brown paper bags full of dress and quilting fabrics, made up a couple gallon size bags full of large scraps for the thrift shop. Never saw any of it hit the shelves though or it went that fast.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:28 AM

I'm also sticking with using my stash. Just can't justify paying that much for fabric. At my age I have enough fabric to last me as I don't make that many quilts anymore. Feel for you younger quilters.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:46 AM

I feel so lucky to live in the Minneapolis area where we have SR Harris stores, one in Burnsville and one in Brooklyn Park. Their Brooklyn Park Location is 30,000 square feet of fabrics of all sorts, notions, etc., etc. The quilting fabric is all $6.50 to $7 a yard. They have many fine fabric manufacturers - Andover, Marcus, Quilting Treasures, and many more - and some not so great lines. It's like a treasure hunt to shop there. You won't find coordinated fabric lines there, but you can almost always find what you need. During the height of the pandemic, I used to go there just to get out of the house. I'd spend hours just browsing. They had strict occupancy and masking rules so I felt very comfortable.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

I live in driving distance to Marshall's Dry Goods. Nice drive and a big warehouse full of fabric. You never know what will be on the $1 a yard table. I have dozens of designer kits I have bought over the years . I sold one on Ebay for triple times what I paid for it a few years ago. When someone wants a certain kit they will certainly have a bidding war to get it.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

There's a nice shop in Waynesville, Ohio called Fabric Shack. You may have heard of it. They have great prices and service. I don't know if they sell retail as I buy from them online. Always happy with my orders. It has a small feeling to it but I don't think it is. Nice people to do business with.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head with the comment about the "Scandinavian designer". I've also noticed Tilda fabrics are more expensive, but I think it might be because they're fairly new to the US and they're still trying to get a foot in the door. Import costs, European VAT taxes, etc might increase their costs. At least that's what I'm telling myself, lol. They are nice fabrics, though.
I agree with Peckish. I just did a quick check of prices online and I don't see prices anywhere near that level for other fabric. Tilda's is probably along the line of Liberty of London Fabrics. They are produced in countries where the average cost of fabric is well above what US consumers are used to paying, and then import taxes, transportation costs, etc. are added. I wouldn't generalize it to mean that the average layer cake is going to cost $78.