Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your 2023 quilting goals >

What are your 2023 quilting goals

What are your 2023 quilting goals

Old 12-14-2022, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I am really impressed with the Three Yard Quilt patterns. After watching all the videos I know the fabric choice is crucial from blah to fantastic. I have been putting together three yard pieces for the patterns. I can buy a yard of wow fabric if needed to go with my stash fabrics. I made one in a week including simple quilting, not rushing so I am planning on two a month. Even one a month will give me enough quilts by next year to give a gifts and to donate.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:25 PM

Well mom and I figured out how many UFOs we have, I have 29 and she has 11, so if we can cross some off, that’d be good!
Old 12-14-2022, 05:05 PM

Just want to start at the top of the pile and work down. I bought a loom for making rag rugs. If I come across fabric I don't care for any more it will go into a rug. Three yard quilts and disappearing four patch are on the quilt list. Here's to a successful year ahead.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

I feel like I've gotten in a rut, both in piecing and quilting. I've made lots of quilts this year, but they're all in my comfort zone. I hope to venture out more in 2023, try new things, expand my skills. I also want to be around other quilters more. I didn't join the guild this year, and we met very little in 2020 and 2021 because of - well, you know. I plan to join at least one guild in 2023, and also hope to attend quilt shows whenever possible.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:34 PM
Power Poster

My goal is to whittle down my scrap bin.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My goal is to whittle down my scrap bin.
Me, too, but I have bins - selvages, strings, 2" and 2.5" squares. I also have project boxes ready to kit up. My major goals this year are (1) to begin a new Dear Jane quilt, (2) finish the pineapple quilt started in 2021, and (3) finish the Hunter's Star quilt started earlier this year.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:51 AM

In 2023, I plan to work more from my stash due to the rising cost of fabric.

Start a leader and ender quilt.

Make my first ever scrappy quilt. I've only made quilts from patterns or kits with all coordinated fabrics.

Complete at least one of the kitted projects I've purchased at fabric warehouse.

Finish at least one Ufo that I've started.

Learn to use my Embroidery machine to enhance my quilts...adding designs to my blocks and making quilt blocks in the hoop.

Happy Quilting New Year to all of you!
Old 12-15-2022, 03:32 AM

1. - This is my third year to finish one quilt a month. Most are UFO flimsys that just need those final steps.So I am going to carry on that

2.- I also am starting a Dear Jane using my stash. Several years ago, I had Santa bring me the computer program. Now I have figured out how to print out paper piecing foundations. on the blocks without curves. I am making the blocks 6" not 4". The computer says that will be 109 x 109. Perfect.

3.- I can only stop by Krispy Kreme when the light is flashing hot doughnuts now. Silly but y'all wouldn't believe how many times I have wanted to stop and the sign is off. Saving me calories.
Old 12-15-2022, 03:33 AM

I’m definitely the kind of quilter that set’s goals. I’ve quilted long enough that I have to evaluate where I’ve gone and where I’m going. This last year I joined the American Patchwork and Quilting UFO challenge. I did good. I’d like to do it one more year but I’m drawn to the challenge where you sew from your stash. I can’t get all my sewing things in my sewing room. Just too much fabric. I could sew up many quilts using just fabric I have. So, I guess my goals for 2023 are those 2. Work on UFO’s and sew from stash.
Old 12-15-2022, 03:57 AM

I had not finalized my goals but this question got me thinking:
1. Search out and kit up UFOs ........... complete one a month
2. Kit up projects that are awaiting my attentions (I have been given a number of projects that were just barely started and are worthy of finishing.)
3. Continue to deplete my stash particularly Pinks and batiks.
4. Sort patterns that I have printed and use them or pass them on to others.
5. Make quilts for two family members, one friend and one baby quilt.
6. Do one sew-a-long to use scraps.
7. Track fabric "in" and fabric "out" just for the fun of it.
8. Continue to journal my quilts. I find this a very useful activity but it has taken about two years to be faithful at recording my quilting projects with useful detail.
9. Make quilts that bring me joy, donate to Project Linus and bless others with warm hugs from my sewing room.

In the end, like nearly every one else, I just want to use what I have and limit shopping to what is needed to complete a project.

Thought of another goal....Clean out the saved patterns on my laptop. Why am I saving patterns I will NEVER use. Dump what is in the "What was I thinking?" category.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 12-15-2022 at 04:03 AM.