Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews? >

Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews?

Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews?

Old 03-09-2010, 05:27 AM

Enjoy the new toy. I bought a Kenmore about 4 years and I think it is one step up-I wanted to do letters and I found one to do it. The embroidery stuff is fine but I don't want to play around with all that. Anyway, I do everything I want to and it is so easy. I had a White but I dropped it on my way to a class. I was just sick. After I check around about geting it fixed, I decided to get a new machine. Enjoy, Enjoy Enjoy!!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 AM

I suggest to always measure the throat of the machine. I bought a machine online and it has a small throat. Now I'm looking for a machine with a 9 or 10" throat for quilting as my smaller machine can't fit the larger quilts. I have a Brother CS6000i, which I love for sewing and an old Janome Harmoney which I also love but has a few problems with it's stitches and needs work.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 AM

I have a brother XS9000 and it stops in the needle down position.
This is definitely a feature I would again look for if buying a new machine.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 AM

I bought my first Kenmore in 1960. It is still going strong. Just forward and back but sews over anything. It is in a cabinet so I have since bought a couple of new machines. Another Kenmore/Janome with a 25 year warranty that is about to run out. I treated myself to a Bernina for retirement 3yrs. ago and it is fine. It just does different things and tricks that I have not done as yet.
1960/$125
1985/$129
2006/$2400
My favorite...The 25yr. old Sears/Janome
I forgot; I also bought a cheapest ($49/at Target) Singer that I keep at my two sons house in Oregon. It's okay for a couple of weeks work a year when I am visiting.
Congratulations on your new machine. It will serve you well for at least 25yrs. Happy Sewing!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 AM

How about Embroidery machines, I am wanting to get one, whta do you think of yours and or why?

Thanks,
Old 03-09-2010, 06:43 AM

Looks like a good machine for the price. Kenmores are very nice machines---I still have mine from when my daughter was 6 months old and it still works like a charm.
I used to work for Sears teaching lessons on machines and sewing lessons (that was when they did that sort of thing) and very seldom did we have one that had to be repaired.
I say go for it.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 AM

Oh my KENMORE... LOVE IT! When I was a kid I saved my allowance and went and bought a Kenmore sewing machine.

It is still the machine I use and LOVE!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM

I purchased this Kenmore when I decided I wanted to start quilting, but I got it during their friends and family and also have an additional coupon for it so I picked it up for much less than it's current price.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...e=Computerized

They have a nice quilting pack online at sears which I believe will have all the things you need. :)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...d=walking+foot

I have had one issue with mine, the pedal seems to have a little issue with being reliable, but they are sending me a new pedal to replace the one I have. Hopefully that will fix the issue. It an annoyance, but they have been very friendly and easy to work with.

The machine itself has been EASY PEESY to learn on. And I would buy another one.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 AM

I have 2 Kenmores, one 30 years old and other about 3 years old. I use both and they have never given me any problems. Kenmore are made by Janome to Kenmore specifications. I was at a quilt retreat on the weekend and there were 2 other quilters there using the same machine as my older one and they love theirs. Also, a while ago, one of our forum quilters showed a picture of a worktop she had made for her "work horse". It too is the same as my older Kenmore. Each of my daughters has Kenmore and they love theirs too, though they don't use it to the extent that I use mine. I believe you can't go wrong. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
One word of caution with dealing with Sears.....they will charge you a restocking fee (which is huge) if you return your item. Doesn't matter how much the item cost or whether the box is open or not. READ THE RECEIPT! It's there in VERY tiny print! Don't buy the extended warranty on it either. I have never heard anything good about their service departments either (pricey work, won't honor warranty, time frame to fix/repair/clean takes too long). I have a Kenmore, bought brand new from Sears. It needed a good cleaning and such and I took it to a sewing machine guy who charged me 1/3 of what Sears would have charged me.
I bought Kenmore in1970. I had one time the tension dial came off (I'm wondering if my kids were playing with it) I took it to Sears because I didn't have the right tool for the screw. The guy fixed it, carried it out to the car and told me no charge. He claimed it would take long to make out a bill than it did to fix it. Never had a problem with it since. I love my Kenmore. It's still going strong. It is made of metal and not a million plastic parts but I love my Kenmorel