Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS sticker shock. >

LQS sticker shock.

LQS sticker shock.

Old 12-15-2022, 05:04 AM

Yikes, that's crazy! I don't think I could justify that to myself, no matter how much I liked it - regardless of whether or not I could afford it, it's just too much.

I'm really lucky to live not far from a couple of Mennonite stores that carry fabric. One has a lot of household items, shoes and boots and clothing, with a section of fabric. The other is all fabric. It is SO much less than "regular" LQS. Those are the first places I check if I am looking for something.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:57 AM

I find that I have to stay out of quilt shops or I just get too tempted to buy the beautiful new fabrics. I don't just like to go and not buy anything either. Maybe I can still go and only take so much cash along. Might work!!
Old 12-15-2022, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I do not care for the fabrics by Tilda....just too wild for my taste. I do tend to buy leftover fabric from Facebook that someone wants to get rid of...but only if they are a name brand such as Riley Blake, Quilting Treasures, and Moda of course. With making smaller charity quilts, so many smaller pieces work for me. I was in Walmart yesterday and they are getting rid of all the bolts of fabric and only keeping the precut packaged stuff.
Still, I saw a fat quarter bundle from Green Fairy Fabrics this morning that was on sale for $78. I'm seriously considering it for a new Christmas quilt for my couch or a present for someone next year.
Hi - I know we each have our own likes and dislikes for everything, including fabric but I'm just wondering if you are thinking of Tula fabric, as in Tula Pink instead of Tilda? I've made two quilts using Tilda fabric and I would describe the fabric as softish florals, kind of a traditional look. I like Tula's more modern look, too, also for certain things, used it in a quilt for teen-age GD.
I guess I was lucky to find Tilda when I did a couple years ago because the price was the same as any quilt shop quality fabric.
Don't mean to argue, as I said to each his own Happy sewing!
Old 12-15-2022, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I'm just wondering if you are thinking of Tula fabric, as in Tula Pink instead of Tilda? I've made two quilts using Tilda fabric and I would describe the fabric as softish florals
I was wondering the same thing. "Wild" would not be the first word to come to mind when describing Tilda, but it would when it comes to describing Tula Pink!
Old 12-15-2022, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
I feel so lucky to live in the Minneapolis area where we have SR Harris stores, one in Burnsville and one in Brooklyn Park.
I have shopped at SR Harris for over 20 years and love it too. Even tho its 200 miles from me, we still get there at least twice a year to "treasure hunt". The owner is a real hoot.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:26 AM

I read that Joann is closing some stores. One in Bridgeport WV, by Jan 22. Then one in Marion Ohio, by the end of February.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:21 AM

Anything imported is going up. Cost of living is going up which means businesses have to increase the wages for their employees all of these increases get passed on to consumers so be prepared for things to increase more with the food shortage on the way leading to an increase in goods. And yes some will pay the prices if they really want it. This is not a cheap hobby. A ruler I purchased 5 years ago was 50 is now going for 75 . Gas and food have practically doubled.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:38 AM

yep, right. Not all stores. News!! they never get it right.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

It's getting cheaper to buy fabric then buy groceries. My grocery bill per month has more then doubled from last year.