Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick question about when quilts are judged at a show. >

Quick question about when quilts are judged at a show.

Quick question about when quilts are judged at a show.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 AM

Karla--I entered my chicken quilt in the GA National Fair and won a second place ribbon for it. (My first time ever to enter a quilt in any kind of show) The judges dinged me for not sewing down the miters in my binding corners (I didn't know to or I would have done it--lesson learned).

The back of that quilt is random pieces of leftover chicken fabrics from the front! They are all sizes and shapes and colors. When the quilts were hung for the show most all were hung with two quilts back to back to save space, but my quilt was hung alone so that people could see my back!! I thought it was a great compliment!

Go for it, girl!!!! Your quilts are gorgeous and I think the judges and the viewers would love to see your work. I know I certainly do!! And be sure to let us know how you do!!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Beth33
Originally Posted by Moonpi
Quilt police may pose as judges, so be forewarned.
What are quilt police? Thanks
They are just tacky people who think they are experts at all things quilt and are very critical of everyone else's work.

There are no "quilt police" on this board!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I say put them all in and see what happens....
i agree, you never know!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Oh, LOL, thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 AM

I have always sewn down the miter at the corners of the binding. I read in this thread that both ways were considered no no's by judges. What do you do???
Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
There's nothing on the forms to give a clue about the judging, so I think I'll just have some of them judged. The Barn Quilt is fun to look at, especially the quilting--not done by me! :wink: Maybe I'll include the Kayak one then... thanks BellaBoo!! And everyone else for your replies.
As far as you not doing the quilting, be careful about the category you enter. Sometimes, whena quilt is made by one person and quilted by another, it is judged as a "group" quilt, so be sure to check the rules before you enter it.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 AM

Keep in mind that what a judge says is just one persons opinion. Judges look at binding, points being pointed, seams matching, quilting stitches being even and a host of other things. I think personal preference comes in to play some, too. A judge is just one person. The most important thing is that you like your quilt and are happy with your work. I think that we are our own worse critics.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 AM

quiltmom--I checked and if someone else quilted it, it can't be in the machine quilted category.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 AM

The number one thing to find out is what the rules are for entering the quilt - quilts. If there is a judge there that you can google and check a site to see what the pet peeves are it is in your best interest to do so. If this is just a local entry and more for fun and enjoyment it will still do you good to check out what the requirements are.

Number one rule to remember... make sure your quilts are totally free from pet hair. Its the simple things that will not even get your quilt considered.

Have fun with your contest and wishing you luck on your entries. We have won at juried shows before and it is very rewarding to get the ribbon. I found the judges remarks to be the most helpful.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Suz

Make sure you quilt is clean, no dog or cat hairs, no stray threads peeking from the seams or otherwise. Check the back as well.

Fold the quilts and measure to assure they are the same widthwise and lengthwise. I have seen quilts that are off by 1" or more.

Make sure the binding is full, i.e., batting, backing and top all the way to the fold of the binding.

If the quilt is to be hung, make sure there is no "waving" along the sides or bottom.

Good luck and let us know what the judges write in the comments.

Suz