Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New to quilting! >

New to quilting!

New to quilting!

Old 12-29-2022, 05:28 AM

Default New to quilting!

Hi, Y'all! I am a TOTAL newbie. Bought a Brother CP80x at Sam's (haven't plugged it in yet!) & most everything else recommended to begin except fabric. Have SO much to learn, but beginner quilting books are ordered and YT has bunches of what appear to be great tutorials. Thinking of starting with Take 5 Teacher's Pet pattern - I am really excited! There aren't any classes anywhere near me that I can find so I am delighted to have found this forum. Patty in Southwest GA
Old 12-29-2022, 05:41 AM

This is a great source to start out with as there are so many folks here that will help you when you have a question. Also they can direct you to sites where you might be able to find lessons, sales, videos to show you how they made the block, etc. Also YouTube videos is another great site as they have lots of videos to how you the easiest way to make your block/quilt.

Also, welcome to the life of a quilter. Lots of very nice folks here, lots of newbies here to so don't feel like you're alone. No question is a stupid question as we've all been there, done that and probably still make mistakes from time to time. Just yesterday I trimmed a section to a blocks completely wrong so it went into my orphan block container. Luckily I had an extra one to replace it with. See, dumb mistakes and I've been quilting since 2005.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:17 AM

Welcome Imlookinup to a new and exciting part of your life! All the suggestions Snooze made are what I want to say, too. It's so exciting. challenging and engrossing to learn something new, and you've found the right place here at the QB for information and support. It's lots of fun when everything is new, too.
Old 12-29-2022, 10:35 AM

Welcome to the world of quilting. You will enjoy creating so many things and don't forget to come back to let everyone see what you are creating.
Old 12-29-2022, 03:20 PM

Welcome to the Quilting Board Forum and to the wonderful world of quilting! I began just like you in 2017 and found this forum quicky - I have since learned much of what I know by those sharing ideas, tips, etc.. right here. There are some great online resources - look-up Missouri Star Quilt Co and their many You Tube Videos and Donna Jordan with Jordan Fabrics to start. You'll quickly find many other great folks out there that share wonderful ideas. But, as others have said above, you'll have great support here so ask away and be sure to share your creations!
Old 12-29-2022, 03:27 PM

Welcome to the boards. I love your energetic and enthusiasm. Have fun and enjoy your journey into the creative world of quilting.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 12-30-2022, 07:47 AM

Welcome from Minnesota! I'm not usually visually active on the board here, but I do use the search button to look up
things that I have questions about. You can find just about anything that you want to learn about through the search feature. There's lots of good information and links and other suggestions there related to quilting.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:56 AM

Default Thanks!

I am SO appreciative of the encouraging and informative responses received already. What a great forum!!! I'm about to go blind from exploring online fabrics but I am thoroughly enjoying taking my time and choosing the right project. I'm such a baby, I am seriously considering beginning with quilted potholders! I am pushing 70 hard, so I basically know (most) of my limitations. Anyways, thanks for being there. I feel like I have a safety net. Patty
Old 12-30-2022, 09:58 AM

Hi Patty,
welcome to the board from New Hampshire.