Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Lock Regent? >

Baby Lock Regent?

Baby Lock Regent?

Old 12-29-2022, 08:13 PM

Question Baby Lock Regent?

Hi -- I posted recently about looking at an unused, but old Tiara II, and got some very helpful comments. I went to test drive whatever babylock I could find, which ended up being a Regent at our local store. I test drove, it seemed fine, and had basic features I want like stitch regulator, bobbin winder, needle up/down. I read somewhere that sometimes the stitch regulator is finicky, but it seemed fine to me. Any thoughts on this machine? It's the floor model, has about 9K stitches on it, they want 5K. The (not) used Tiara is 4K and does come with an extension table, but otherwise the Regent seems like a better idea. Your comments are SO appreciated!

Melanie
Old 12-29-2022, 08:44 PM

When I bought my floor model Viking/Husqvarna Topaz Sewing/Embroidery machine it was discounted because it was in fact used, even if it was just in the store. The dealer gave me the full warranty, lessons, and the option of a full price if I decide within a year to up grade. It was great for me. I have been using it for 10 years with no issues, just some fine tuning with the regular maintenance which was every other year. The best part I thought, all the bugs were worked out. They needed that machine to run perfectly since it was used to sell that model. It never occurred to me to ask how many hours it had run when I bought it. But it hasn't been an issue.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:58 AM

Thank you! This will also come with full warranty and lessons, which is certainly part of the appeal. I never thought about the bugs needing to be worked out, but - good point. It seemed in good working condition when I test drove it.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:34 AM

hey Quiltermelanie,
I think the Stitch Harmony stitch regulator is probably the same as the one in the Handiquilter Insight table since the Regent is almost certainly made by Handiquilter for Babylock. I splurged on the Insight table last year when they brought one out for the Sweet Sixteen and have found that the stitch regulator works very well once you learn how to work with it. First, you need to make sure you always have at least 2 extra inches of backing and batting since you need to keep both "eyes" in the table covered by the fabric for the stitch regulator to work well. Second, you need to be careful not to twist the quilt on the table as you're doing curved designs as that will cause the stitch regulator to start stitching a mile a minute- it can't handle the difference in speed that occurs from one side of the quilt to the other when you twist. Finally, you will need to learn how to adjust the idle speed to suit you when you are in cruise on the regulated mode- that just takes some time to figure out how fast you prefer for the needle to stitch when you aren't moving the fabric (like doing sharp corners, etc.)
Hope that info is helpful to you in your quest for a sit down.

Rob
Old 12-30-2022, 08:40 AM

Rob, thank you so much for your insights! I have a feeling I’ll be asking many more questions - and DO think I will get this machine!
Old 12-30-2022, 10:50 AM
mkc

The Baby Lock Regent is absolutely a rebadged Handi Quilter Capri. List price is around $8K. It's a much newer design than the Sweet Sixteen/Tiara so should have support for parts, etc., for more years going forward.

There's a good Facebook group for the Capri, and you'll find a lot more info on the web if you search for that version of the machine (vs. Baby Lock).

Last edited by mkc; 12-30-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:13 PM

After owning an original Tiara for several years (which I loved), I bought the Babylock Regent when it was first introduced. The insight table with the built in stitch regulator is fabulous and so much easier to use than the one on the Tiara. I have no regrets whatsoever about purchasing the Regent. Having said that, you will enjoy either machine!
Old 12-31-2022, 11:25 PM

Default Babylock regent

Bought the Regent. Managed to get it set up. Working on tension issues as well as bobbin threading issues. Have worded thru both I think. At least for now. Will load tomorrow with the “right” thread and will start on the backlog of quilting I was unwilling to do on the Janome. I am sure I will have more questions as I go!