Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joanns 108” backing….decent quality? >

Joanns 108” backing….decent quality?

Joanns 108” backing….decent quality?

Old 01-02-2023, 05:02 AM

Default Joanns 108” backing….decent quality?

Spoiler

Last edited by Sandygirl; 01-02-2023 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-02-2023, 05:14 AM

If you have used their 108” backing, pls share your experience. I will be using it on charity quilts and small projects. Thanks.
sandy
Old 01-02-2023, 05:29 AM

I have used only the 108" muslin. I found it an acceptable backing for charity quilts and the scraps are good for piecing.. I always look for their "best" quality muslin and then wait for their 50% off coupon to appear and buy a bolt. I have not used their other 108" fabrics. My choice for backing often is to go to a local quilt shop and shop their bargain room. In the last 6 months, I have found fabric for $4 a yard that is excellent quality and I can do a pieced back for less cost than any 108" that I can find.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:56 AM

Thank you for responding. Yesterday, I ordered 27 yards of multiple colors for $9.99/yard quilt shop quality brands on the Hancocks of Paducah website. I see that Joanns advertised 108” backing for $9.99 per yard. I am going to check them out. I will likely prewash the Joanns 108” just to be safe. I am building my stash of backings.

sandy
Old 01-02-2023, 06:58 AM

I bought it for the project I working on now. Didn't have anything in my stash that worked . Acceptible for sure. I would compare it to a decent muslin. The appeal is that you can get it in colors. Use in charity quilts and small projects would be fine. Buy enough for one project and see what you think.
Let me add I am talking about their solid 108" fabric. The prints are hit and miss. I ordered one online that was aweful. Very stiff and slippery feeling and after two washes it still felt that way. I did go to the store and looked at/felt some of the prints that seemed ok, but after wasting money on the online purchase I told myself never again.

Last edited by ekuw; 01-02-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:57 AM

I have purchased the 108" at Joann's numerous times. It really depends on what 'brand' the fabric is. Sometimes it says Joann's Fabric on the fabric edge and sometimes it is a different brand. I have only purchased it in the store and was able to feel it before buying it. Some are thinner feeling, while others are heavier and stiffer - and both have been Joann's brand, and both have been other brands as well.

Honestly, when I buy fabric in a store that isn't a 'quilting fabric store' and more of a craft store or department store, I'll buy it in person so I know what I am getting.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:24 PM

Fortunately I am very familiar with quilt shop quality mfgrs. It is the no name brands that I am leery of. Yes, shopping in person is ideal.