Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Blocked VPN's? >

Blocked VPN's?

Blocked VPN's?

Old 01-04-2023, 11:30 AM

Default Blocked VPN's?

So, it appears the board has a feature turned on that denies VPN addresses. I pretty much exclusively use a vpn, mainly to foil tracking and other malicious intrusions.

Can someone turn the feature off that blocks vpn's?

Evey time I have to turn my vpn off to access the site I feel vulnerable to all kinds of nastiness on the web and if turning it off is not possible, I'll just have to stop posting on the site.

Thank you.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:19 PM

Change your location on your VPN. I use a VPN and sometimes that happens to me too. I just need to change the location from say New York to Phoenix etc. .
Old 01-04-2023, 02:19 PM

In addition to what Tallchick recommended, you can also use a browser that does not allow all that "nastiness", such as Brave.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:04 PM

Doesn’t matter what I use for location, doesn’t work.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
In addition to what Tallchick recommended, you can also use a browser that does not allow all that "nastiness", such as Brave.
Between settings, antivirus and a few other “not to be named” programs: already done.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:23 PM

VPNs are a waste of good money. Hosts actively block them and it just becomes a game of cat and mouse. Meanwhile all your activity is concentrated in one single failure point at the VPN provider.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:32 PM

VPNs are great for different reasons, too. If you lived in China, you would love your VPN because the government would not be able to stop you from surfing the net. There are reasons to avoid leaving trails here in the USA, too. We are in the age of Big Brother, after all.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
Between settings, antivirus and a few other “not to be named” programs: already done.
Not sure why you are reluctant to name the programs you're using....? 🤷

I asked my husband, who has worked in the IT industry for over 30 years, and my son, who has been in the IT industry for 10 years, about using a VPN vs using a non-tracking browser such as Brave. They both say a VPN does NOT block trackers, cookies, malicious traffic, etc. They both agree you are much safer using Brave as your browser - and they both specifically named that particular browser.

Websites such as this forum block VPNs because hackers, spoofers, and scammers from India, China, etc use them to gain access. It is not very likely that you will succeed in convincing anyone from tech support to disable this feature.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:20 AM

Peckish -- great info! Thank you for sharing! I use Google Chrome so I suspect everything I do is visible to anyone who wants to be bored by watching me.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
Doesn’t matter what I use for location, doesn’t work.
Same here. I only sign in when I'm at the community center using their computer. I won't turn my VPN off as to many nasty things happen.