Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sunbonnet Sue Thirft Store Find >

Sunbonnet Sue Thirft Store Find

Sunbonnet Sue Thirft Store Find

Old 01-09-2023, 11:38 PM

I especially love the little details, like the embroidery on the hats. You found a treasure.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:56 AM

Thanks for sharing. It brought a smile to my face. Most of us who are older remember our encounters with Sunbonnet Sue.
bkay
Old 01-10-2023, 08:26 AM

I love the embroidery details. What a fun find! Isn't it odd that there are 19 on the quilt and it has a funky layout? If there were 20 Sues, that would've made a balanced quilt layout. I wonder why the quilter made only 19.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
I love the embroidery details. What a fun find! Isn't it odd that there are 19 on the quilt and it has a funky layout? If there were 20 Sues, that would've made a balanced quilt layout. I wonder why the quilter made only 19.
Momma's Sonbonnet Sue was made with 23. She wanted it up over the pillow as my pillow case almost never matched my sheets because I liked "my" pillow case better. It was softer.

Two of the Sues were on the ends of the pillow and the extra was covering the back of the pillow. No idea why it was made to cover the back. It looked like a pyramid actually and that is exactly how my replacement quilt will be made.

was made in the '50s but Momma said she had bought the pattern about 4 years previous for 5c and that was expensive back then.

Last edited by MaryKa; 01-10-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:00 PM

What a treasure - lucky you!
Old 01-11-2023, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
MaryKa - do you know what year her quilt would have dated from? Do the fabrics match so possibly the 40s?
Momma had made in it the early '50s but Momma said she had bought the pattern about 4 years previous. I would think that the fabric would have been bought in the mid to late 40s. Daddy never allowed anything Momma liked to Not be bought.
------------------------------
One time Momma and I went to the old Gemco (much like Walmart today) and she saw some green & white check that she wanted for a dress for herself and made me go call Daddy to see if she could buy it--Daddy sighed and said "she had better get anything she wanted. I told Daddy I was just doing what Momma asked me to. He just sighed again and I told him that must be a Yes." Went back to Momma and told her exactly what he said. Well we bought enough for her dress and left the store. When we got home Momma got explained to that if she wanted something she BEtter buy it. Then he had to go to "work" when he came home half an hour later he had gone to Gemco and bought an entire bolt of that same fabric as Momma's punishment for not just buying it in the first place. Momma made herself a slck ajd javket outfit as well as a few hundred quilt blocks--ok maybe a few thousand. A full bolt makes a lot of blocks. We worked with those blocks for about 6 years.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:30 PM

What a great memory. Family love and power in fabric, lol. So do you still have any of those blocks?
Old 01-13-2023, 09:44 AM

That is such a wonderful find. Thank you for rescuing it for future generations.