Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Loss of an online fabric search engine >

Loss of an online fabric search engine

Loss of an online fabric search engine

Old 01-09-2023, 02:28 PM

Default Loss of an online fabric search engine

quiltshops.com now links to fabric.com. No more fabric search options through quiltshops.com :-(

Good thing I've joined the fabric moratorium so I don't need to use what was a great way to track down fabric with fast price comparisons.

I cannot find any news about this conversion. Perhaps no one was using the quiltshops search engine anymore? Anyone in here know what happened?
Old 01-09-2023, 02:52 PM

I've never heard of searching for fabric that way.

When I search for fabric, I just use Google (I've tried other search engines but honestly get the best results from Google). I put in the name of the fabric line, and/or designer, and/or manufacturer, and sku if I have it. Oftentimes you can find the sku on the manufacturer's website. The more info I plug into the search engine, the better my search results.

Once the search results pop up, I click on the "shopping" tab at the top of the page and it will show a thumbnail picture of the fabric along with the price and website. You can also filter the search results using options found on the left side of the page.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:54 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
quiltshops.com now links to fabric.com. No more fabric search options through quiltshops.com :-(
Actually, it links to fabricshack.com, not fabric.com (which Amazon shut down late last year).

WHOIS reports a record change of 1/4/2023 with client transfer prohibited.

Whois quiltshops.com

It's possible the original owner let the domain registration expire without renewing, and Fabric Shack purchased it, or the original owner simply sold the domain.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:04 PM

Thanks for a new way to search for fabrics, Peckish.

MKC -- That is great to know! and if I could edit my original message I would to say fabricshack.com, I would.

I had noticed that a couple of my favorite shops that ordinarily have pictures associated with the images of the fabric had broken links. quiltshops must have given advance notice to the folks that provided content for them.

I checked out Whois fabricshack.com and they have the same owner as quiltshops.com so perhaps fabricshack owned them all along?
Old 01-09-2023, 03:07 PM

Here is another alternative that can help find some fabrics....mostly currently available ones....
it's through fabshophop.com:
https://fabshophop.com/fabsearch.asp
Old 01-09-2023, 06:21 PM

Fabshophop is a wonderful place to disappear into for hours.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:30 PM

Peckish -- I tried the shopping option for the first time with google. It was fun looking at fabrics but it didn't really pull up the LQS like Over the Rainbow or Fabric Shack. Lots of Spoon Flower and Wayfair fabrics.... I tend to search for novelty fabrics and don't know what may be out there and the quiltshops.com site was great for finding individual LQS with their stashes.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:52 AM

I was looking for something a week or so ago and found the same thing. So disappointed. I had much better luck with quiltshops . com than I ever did with the fabshophop one, although I check both (as well as etsy) when I'm looking for something specific, especially if it's not a current line.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:53 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I’ve used Quiltshops.com for about 20 years.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:25 PM

I’m glad I found this thread - but distraught. I used that search engine ALL THE TIME! It was great for helping me track down out of print fabric that a Google search wouldn’t find. If anyone has found a comparable search engine, please let me know. So sad 😭