Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 01-11-2023, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Just use that "We have food at home" energy!
Ah, this is the key for me too. I have nearly everything I need in my sewing room. Occasionally, I need a backing so I shop. I have found that looking at what I have has led me to try some new colors for "neutrals" beyond my favorites of cream or white and now and again black. I have used royal purple, butterscotch, good old cheddar, green and light baby pink. It forces me to look at colors differently and..... uses what I have at hand.

Congratulations Pet, you are working toward your goal! Keep letting us know how you are working your personal moratorium out.

Although I am not looking to leave this world any time soon, I know that there are more years behind me than ahead of me, so I am working on reducing my gathering of fabric with a purpose. I don't want to leave a mess behind and I in the meantime I want to bless others with a hug and a warm snuggle made with beautiful cuts of fabric.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Ah, this is the key for me too. I have nearly everything I need in my sewing room. Occasionally, I need a backing so I shop. I have found that looking at what I have has led me to try some new colors for "neutrals" beyond my favorites of cream or white and now and again black. I have used royal purple, butterscotch, good old cheddar, green and light baby pink. It forces me to look at colors differently and..... uses what I have at hand.

Congratulations Pet, you are working toward your goal! Keep letting us know how you are working your personal moratorium out.

Although I am not looking to leave this world any time soon, I know that there are more years behind me than ahead of me, so I am working on reducing my gathering of fabric with a purpose. I don't want to leave a mess behind and I in the meantime I want to bless others with a hug and a warm snuggle made with beautiful cuts of fabric.
I love this! I had never thought of butterscotch and light baby pink as "neutrals" before, but what a great idea! And what a wonderful challenge, to treat these colors as neutrals and see what can be accomplished with them.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:25 PM

Okay - I have a question about neutrals and scrap backgrounds. I have been trying to come up with a plan for a piece of fabric and some coordinating bits & pieces and am quite determined not to buy anything for the top (backing might be another story but I don't generally worry about backing until a quilt top is finished as I'm never quite sure what I'll end up with).

The picture shows what I call the piece of "scenery" fabric which is 36" x WoF - I've folded part under to try to make it work as a sort of rectangular window centre panel. I am then looking at building up the size with some concentric borders, some of which will be pieced (I'm leaning towards flying geese and 9P maple leaves right now but math might make me change this).

So the question: If I'm using scrap backgrounds for my FGs and leaves (plan was for one background and one main fabric per unit - not mixing it up more than that, I hope), is it likely to be too distracting if I use a plain cream for a narrow border between each of the pieced borders (similar to what I have framing the "window")? It will certainly not blend right in to some of my background pieces but at least it would be consistent across the quilt and will help me make the borders fit into each other nicely (I think I have enough of one solid to make this plan work).

Usually I don't panic too much when using up scraps, but I generally pick simpler blocks (that don't take so much math) and I'm worried I'm going to just give up on this project if I put all of the work into cutting and sewing the leaves, especially, from the bits and pieces I have and then hate the outcome. :-)

Thanks for any thoughts/strategies - so far I've tried to cut pieces for one leaf and already messed up so that piece of fabric is relegated to FGs only... big sadface! And sorry for all of the parenthetical comments - I'm just trying to get what I think could be a good thing out of my head and on to the forum and maybe into reality!

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7973.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	642293  

Last edited by Gemm; 01-11-2023 at 08:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-12-2023, 03:53 AM

I must be strong. I must be strong.Tomorrow is PL meeting. Coordinator sent email telling us lots of donations. OMG! I know I will look, fondle, dream, and plan. I will take any fab that will be good for teens. Nothing cutsie. I'm excited to see what will be there.
Funny, BUT I'm bringing back fab that I've had for a while and know I won't use. Hmmm...maybe I'll trade fab? I must be strong. I must be strong.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:09 AM

Oh boy, I could be in trouble. I just learned that there is a new quilt shop opening in my town on February 1st. 😜
Old 01-12-2023, 04:24 AM

Idea to help you jmoore. Put your debit/credit cards in a dif small wallet and leave it home. I've heard it's great way to reduce spending.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:13 AM

Gemm, go for it! What can you lose except a lot of fabric? You will gain, at the very least, a donation quilt and perhaps a stunning example of your use of color and design.

Julie, who says that you need to even approach the give away table? If you have plenty of fabric, leave what is on the table for others to chose from. Go to the meeting, then when you return home revel in your own stash and make a quilt or two to bring to the next meeting proving to your group that you can create from the beauties that you have at home.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:29 AM

Teach,I so agree with you. I"m very fussy with what I "fondle" at PL. Don't need pastles. Looking for big boy fab. Last month I took and arm full of fab, thought about it, and returned half of it. I was very pleased with myself. This past month I finished 6 quilts that fit the measurements that have been requested. One was the skateboard pattern. Love that pattern. I know what I need for the patterns on my cutting table. I will be strong. I will be strong.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:40 AM

Gem, I like the idea of a narrow cream border. It gives your eyes a bit of rest. And, then it will take in the scrappy and then rest again. I love scrappy quilts. I love the colors you picked out to use. I say go for it. I hope you love the result.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
I must be strong. I must be strong.Tomorrow is PL meeting. Coordinator sent email telling us lots of donations. OMG! I know I will look, fondle, dream, and plan. I will take any fab that will be good for teens. Nothing cutsie. I'm excited to see what will be there.
Funny, BUT I'm bringing back fab that I've had for a while and know I won't use. Hmmm...maybe I'll trade fab? I must be strong. I must be strong.
I think it's a great idea to bring in fabric you won't use to trade for something you will use. Maybe try to trade in a little more then you take back. I love the idea of looking for more teen "boy" fabric. It's difficult to plan for them. Not because boys are difficult. But because manufacturers don't really design for them. Or if they do, the prints are huge. I can't wait to see your skateboard quilts. I bet they'll be a big hit.