Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old fabric or new? >

Old fabric or new?

Old fabric or new?

Old 01-15-2023, 03:40 AM

I identify myself as a modern quilter. I started sewing 25 years ago, and I don't have any fabric from when I started. I started quilting about 15 years ago and have always gravitated to modern style fabric. It took me a long time to figure out I do not like scrappy blocks, so I do not keep scraps either, so no fabric is around from when I began quilting. Which is fairly modern compared to reading through this thread. I don't always pick my fabrics from the same line, I feel comfortable mixing and matching fabric to suit the design of what I may be working on. I am currently restoring an antique quilt, so I am using civil war reproduction fabric and rather enjoying the process. To me, it's a vintage look, but modern fabric, since civil war reproduction fabric is a quilting style that is popular currently. Best of both worlds really.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:41 AM

I also will mix the old with the new. Works for me.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:07 AM

I like scrap quilts and love using small scraps saved from clothing construction. I have scraps that Mom used in some of her clothes or to make clothes for us as kids. (I just turned 79. ;-). ) It is such fun to use these memories i whatever I am making.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I do try to use some of my older fabrics but first give it a tug in all directions ! Most of it is still good but occasionally there might be a ripper !
Old 01-15-2023, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
When Ben Franklin's fabric stores went out of business, there were two of them in my local. I bought all I could afford. It was the better end fabrics, and I knew I would use them someday in projects. I can't resist 50, 60 and 70 percent off great fabric. Could you? I bought as many blenders and neutrals as I could. The problem is that I had no shelf space and had to store them in bins. It hasn't helped me because." Out of sight, out of mind." But, I do have one planned for this year. A black, white and mixed colors one.
I truly love my older fabrics, even the scraps. I applique blocks sometimes with those smaller pieces. Getting rid of them is impossible for me.

To make matters worse, I also sew garments. So, I have those types of fabrics around in bins. Hubby thinks I am a hoarder. But, I don't think seven or eight large bins are hoarding. Do you? With the price of fabric almost quad-tripling since I started quilting, I am too frugal for that.
Lucky for us here in Missouri, we still have 2 Ben Franklin stores within reasonable driving distance to me. I can't imagine having 70% off fabric available to me! Way too dangerous lol
Old 01-15-2023, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mmunchkins View Post
RedGarnet22, have you had to rent a storage unit to store your fabric. If not, then you are not a hoarder!
No, I don't have any off-sight storage. You are so right! I am not a hoarder. Just being like a girl scout and preparing for future quilts.
BeckyBoo1, I even sold some gold to buy fabrics. Now that was pressing it, but, I love my fabrics I got. There I said it. I am a fabric-a-holic.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-15-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:55 AM

I use whatever works in the quilt I'm making. So a mix of old and new. Since I like to make scrappies when piecing, I don't really worry about age or fabric lines.

Rob
Old 01-16-2023, 10:10 AM

When I started quilting, I bought my older sister's stash. She had about 300 yards of quilting fabric she'd bought when she worked at a quilt shop right out of college. That was in the 70's. It's intermixed with the rest of my stash, and I use it when it works.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mmunchkins View Post
RedGarnet22, have you had to rent a storage unit to store your fabric. If not, then you are not a hoarder!
Love this definition of a hoarder. But not paying for space for hubby
Old 01-16-2023, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by annievee View Post
I do try to use some of my older fabrics but first give it a tug in all directions ! Most of it is still good but occasionally there might be a ripper !
If old and new are mixed, one might be ripped by the strength of the other fabrics.

As to repairing an antique quilt, new fabric will probably be too strong for the antique fabric and make a new problem.