Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
UFOs: when did you start your oldest project? >

UFOs: when did you start your oldest project?

UFOs: when did you start your oldest project?

Old 01-17-2023, 07:55 AM

I guess I'm with most of you. I"m pulling out tops from 2010 and 2012 and finishing them. If I wasn't making something for someone else, it didn't get finished. sad but true. Now i'm playing catch up!
Old 01-17-2023, 09:19 AM

Beautiful quilt! And binding material is a perfect excuse to go fabric shopping!
Old 01-17-2023, 10:42 AM

My oldest UFO is from 1966-67. I just came across it yesterday. When I was expecting my first two children I made my maternity clothes. I had mostly, not frequently or well, made clothes and household things like curtains but with the leftovers from my maternity clothes I got the idea to try quilting. I made a 4" square cardboard template, cut a bunch of squares then pieced about 14 together. We moved a lot back then so it got put away. I did add some squares from leftover fabric from making my daughter clothes when she was little.

Around 2006-07 I finally got into quilting and have made some quilts. All but one have been given away. I usually fully make a quilt before I start another one so don't have quilting UFOs around - except for that one.

Now that I've found that UFO again maybe I can make something from those first squares and keep something for myself which will be full of memories.

Last edited by selm; 01-17-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:40 AM

I started my oldest quilt around 40 years ago. I never quilted the borders. This year has been very stressful. I always find solace in needle and thread. So, I tried starting a new quilt, but did not have the energy to sew the blocks together. In October, after my husband passed, I picked up my old quilt again and started quilting out the borders. It has been very comforting and calming for me. Besides, it is something I have control over. In a couple of days, it will be done.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I made this in the 90's!
It was between 92-97 as that's how long we lived in snowy Syracuse so it was somewhere around 1995. I don't know why I forgot about it because I really like it and my youngest son told me he wanted it. I found it when I was rearranging my sewing room. Yay! It's done and with Michael.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	642375  
Old 01-21-2023, 12:12 PM

My oldest project was started in the mid 80's when I was going to make twin patchwork quilts for my sons. It was going to be squares, then at some time, not sure when, I decided to cut each square in half diagonally. Things got put away, moved from spot to spot, and house to house. At some point, I started raiding the cut pieces for applique, and still have some of the "bones" of the quilts. Obviously, at this point in their lives, neither son will be getting their quilt! I also have a Christmas star wall-hanging from the 90's that will never get finished, as when I look at it I realize that at that time, I didn't pay attention to sewing a 1/4" very well!

Over the years I have kitted many patterns and fabric, each waiting to be done. In the broadest sense of project, does merely kitting them and intending to make them count?!!
Old 02-05-2023, 07:02 AM

I am new here, but I would like to claim this record...
Started in 1979, while expecting my 3 baby, was supposed to be a girl, basted 4 sqares (14"x 14") quilted one, and the baby came, and it was a third boy ...so there was no time to quilt for a while, but when the "baby" was expecting his own baby I thought it was time to finish in 2015 I handed it over to my expecting Daughter in Law, who produced yet another boy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	finished 2015, just in time for Adrian.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	642608