Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Maintenance Plan - is it worth it for a Juki? >

Maintenance Plan - is it worth it for a Juki?

Maintenance Plan - is it worth it for a Juki?

Old 01-25-2023, 12:49 PM

Default Maintenance Plan - is it worth it for a Juki?

Hi all,
I just recently purchased a Juki Haruka TL18 from my local quilt shop. They are offering an unlimited-service 4 yr maintenance plan for $399. It covers annual manufacturer recommended maintenance plus "anything that goes wrong with your machine." Annual service runs around $199 per year without the plan. In general, for other major purchases, we (myself and my husand) have NOT purchased extended warraties or maintenance plans, as we we are both engineers and very good at doing our own troubleshooting. (He took apart my Rocketeer and gave it a complete tuneup recently....). Finally, I know Jukis, especially the mechanical ones, have a reputation for durability and reliability.

However, we have never had a Juki before, so I am wondering if it would be worth it to buy this plan? Just wondering if you other Juki owners out there can speak to how often these guys breakdown or need professional servicing? That would help us to make our decision (we have 30 days from the date of purchase to decide)....Thanks in advance for your help :-)
Old 01-25-2023, 04:16 PM

No. That machine is quite easy to service yourself. The only tricky thing is that there's a cable when you take the top cover off that you need to be careful with. The thread cutter can be persnickety, but only if you don't control your threads -- hold tails when you start sewing and stop if a tangle happens. There are two bottoms to remove. But if you can take apart a Roketeer and get it sewing again, you can service your own Juki. Just oil where metal rubs on metal. The timing isn't likely to go out. It's a pretty tough machine.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

The thread cutter is the only problem I have had on my Juki machine. It made a grinding noise and froze up the machine. Replacement did the same thing after the warranty was out. I don't use the thread cutter anymore Certified Juki service can't see to stop the problem so I'm not wasting money on trying to get it fixed to last longer then the warranty. Still sews great.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

That sounds a bit outrageous to me. I have a Juki and a Bernina. My Juki is mechanical and I looked yours up and it appears to be as well. If so they are very easy to maintain yourself. I also have a high end Bernina (computerized) and servicing is a fraction of what they quoted you.
$199 per year to service a mechanical machine? That's crazy. ( unless I'm missing something here.)
Old 01-26-2023, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

It cost me $150 for a service fee for my Juki plus part and labor if any repair needed. That's why I did not get the thread cutter replaced for the second time. And that cost was several years ago. Same cost for the service of my Brother 1500. My friends who have high end machines pay a min of $250 for yearly service. There are five quilt/dealers in my area and this is the going rate. Two sells Bernina, one sells Husqvarna, one sells Janome, one sells Juki, Brother, and Babylock. All with brand techs and service.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Wow! My Bernina dealer is much more reasonable and she suggests not a yearly service but every 2 years and charges 70.00. My last service was free because she didn't charge anyone d/t Covid. She is great. I've been going to that shop for decades.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:22 PM

It's still $70 at our local Bernina dealer, too. $199 for a service on a mechanical machine seems pretty crazy to me, too.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:48 PM

It depends. I have a Juki 2200 QVP MIni. In order for the dealer to warranty it for 5 years I have to bring it in for a yearly service so It might be worth it to me. Servicing here is only $125 and I get a discount so it's just about $100. I've never paid that much for yearly servicing on a machine.

I haven't had a problem with my Juki. I only use it for FMQ, but at times I do quite a bit of it and like I said have never had any problems with the machine. I find it to be a really well engineered, sturdy machine and not very picky about things.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 01-27-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:13 AM

Seems excessive to me. Is it a yearly cleaning/maintenance plan or a just in case something breaks plan. My 2010Q went 10 years right out of the box with just me cleaning thoroughly. I could see that on an embroidery machine with lots of electronics.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I hope the low prices stay low for maint for most of you. The dealer told me yesterday fees for the tech/repair will increase this year. Also parts have increased in price.