Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Adapting foot pedal >

Adapting foot pedal

Adapting foot pedal

Old 01-26-2023, 07:29 AM

Lightbulb Adapting foot pedal

I have a Baby lock Jazz2, after reading and looking at a home made quilting frame here, I have one basically planned out with casters ordered and boards to make it with.
I doubt I would be able to afford a Grace stitch regulator in this life time, but am wondering if anyone has tried using the Grace Speed control instead of a foot pedal? It is only about $100. It doesn't necessarily have to be on the same machine as mine, just as the only control you are using other than the foot pedal.
I want something other than a foot pedal as dealing with sciatica, some leg movements especially when standing can trigger pain stabs.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:42 AM

If I am thinking right, a speed control would just be maintaining the speed of the needle going at a constant speed? When long arms first came out, there was no stitch regulation on them. You set the speed of the needle and went for it. You learned to move the machine at a consistent speed to match the speed of the needle movement. There is a learning curve to this. Interesting, an award winning long armer in this area (Karen McTavish) often will do her lovely free hand quilting with her stitch regular turned off as it actually gives you a more fluid movement as the machine is not trying to maintain the actual length of the stitch like it does with the stitch regulator on. She often encourages her students to try long arming without stitch regulation.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
If I am thinking right, a speed control would just be maintaining the speed of the needle going at a constant speed? When long arms first came out, there was no stitch regulation on them. You set the speed of the needle and went for it. You learned to move the machine at a consistent speed to match the speed of the needle movement. There is a learning curve to this. Interesting, an award winning long armer in this area (Karen McTavish) often will do her lovely free hand quilting with her stitch regular turned off as it actually gives you a more fluid movement as the machine is not trying to maintain the actual length of the stitch like it does with the stitch regulator on. She often encourages her students to try long arming without stitch regulation.
Thank you.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:20 AM

My understanding is the Grace Speed control does not work on the Jazz II. If you go to https://graceframe.com/en/product/speed-control look under additional information tab and Jazz II is not listed.

There are many Jazz II quilters who use the Cutie frame that have attached the foot pedal to their handles with a bike
phone holder. Otherwise you have to purchase the Grace Elite regulator that is about $900 as the Grace Stitch Regulator will not work with the Jazz II either. If you are a Facebook user you might want to join the Cutie Quilters group or the group for Jazz II.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:45 AM

Default speed control

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
My understanding is the Grace Speed control does not work on the Jazz II. If you go to https://graceframe.com/en/product/speed-control look under additional information tab and Jazz II is not listed.

There are many Jazz II quilters who use the Cutie frame that have attached the foot pedal to their handles with a bike
phone holder. Otherwise you have to purchase the Grace Elite regulator that is about $900 as the Grace Stitch Regulator will not work with the Jazz II either. If you are a Facebook user you might want to join the Cutie Quilters group or the group for Jazz II.
Thank you. I didn't have a bike phone holder, and may still get one, but my iPad holder is doing the holding part in the meantime, with me leaning in and out. It was a brilliant suggestion, and best yet, it is free, or low cost. I truly appreciate it.

Loi,
Old 01-26-2023, 11:43 AM

You are welcome.