Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 01-25-2023, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Here’s the picture of fabric donated:
A little bit of this and that sometimes doesn’t combine well to make a quilt. If all of this is combined with a little bit of this at some place else into a a bigger pile it can combine. IOW giving it to someone else might combine with her stash to make a quilt, but at your house it’s not enough to make anything. If that makes sense, you’re a mind reader.
Bottom line_________it just might be the best to give it to someone else.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:48 PM

ibex94: Thank you!

woodland creature: It’s a nice feeling to see your fabric being used quickly. That is such a nice gesture for your guild to make pillowcases for Kindergartners.

petthefabric: I understood that comment. 🙂. You’re absolutely correct. Plus the other person’s creative mind will do wonders with the fabric given.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-25-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:52 PM

Woodland and Retiredteacher, you are winners! Cleaning out and donating is such a good way to reduce the stash and its release what you don't want or won't use. Doesn't feel so freeing to lighten the heavy load of what is good but unwanted. Keep it up and thanks for the inspiration.

I still haven't bought any fabric and the month of January is nearly over. Whoo Hoo! I know I will have to jump off the wagon for some cream background but I am going through my stash one more time to see if I can find any thing that will do first. Something might be lurking in an unexpected bin or pile.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=WMUTeach;8586673]

I still haven't bought any fabric and the month of January is nearly over. Whoo Hoo! I know I will have to jump off the wagon for some cream background but I am going through my stash one more time to see if I can find any thing that will do first. Something might be lurking in an unexpected bin or pile. .]

I found some additional cream scraps in one of the kits that I had created for another project, Cream and Sugar. I had not started cutting the self created kit yet so no problem.. Whoo Hoo again! I found all the cream I need for my current Scrap Buster project. I can replace the cream scraps for the kit later when I can get it on sale toward the end of February. Just an example of how a second look can yield what is needed.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
When I make up a kit, I cut the fabric (except possibly the borders), and construct units to whatever point makes the best sense for storage in a plastic grocery bag. Sometimes this means just the cut fabric, other times it means constructed units, other times it means constructed blocks. I then use boxes approximately the size of the large-size priority mail box, and store 3-5 kits in each box.
I have most pieces cut and hold off on the border fabric, too. Once I get the main part of the quilt I may want to change the width of the borders.
I bought fabric for backings in the LQS finish the bolt sale.
Have 9 flimsies sewn and 16 kits in zip lock bags!
Old 01-27-2023, 08:27 AM

I'm in a dif group of quilters. I don't always make a border, just a coordinating binding. Many times my quilts finish the right size for Project Linus so no need for a border. Even without borders, I still get plenty of oooos and ahhhhs at show and tell. Guess I use borders to make the quilts "the right size."
Old 01-27-2023, 06:00 PM

Working on a project, shopped stash, have a need. That was my excuse to get online. The fabric was found. Now onto free shipping. Well, I tossed myself, with abandon off the wagon.

In my defense, I’ve seen the current retail price of fabrics and there’s some great prices for sale fabrics.

Now after that deception, will someone help me back up.

Oh, it hasn’t arrived yet.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:34 AM

I think you should NOT feel guilty about shopping. You bought it to finish a project and hopefully out the door. Price was right, right? And retail prices are terrible and sometimes, I've noticed, quality is not what it was before.

Now the wagon will be going down your street again in a couple months. Listen for the honk and we'll wait for you. Many of us have bumpls and bruises from falling off but luckily no injuries bad enough to stop us from sewing (shopoing)
Old 01-28-2023, 04:23 AM

So you needed fabric, right? I am often loading up the cart in order to get free shipping, as that can translate to a yard or so of free fabric. If it's fabric that you are likely to use, then no worry. That wagon will be by again, and we'll give you a hand to get back on it.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:27 AM

I made a request to the "wagon master." The ladder is too difficult for some of us so please install steps with hand rails!