Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 02-01-2023, 04:25 PM

Julienm1 -- Any fabrics collected to create quilts for Project Linus do not count against you. I think you are still good. And you unloaded some fabric. You get a gold star from me. :-)
Old 02-01-2023, 04:27 PM

Woohoo for those of you who purchased zero fabric this month!!!!
New month now. Let's see if I can make it through February without fabric purchases.....
Old 02-01-2023, 05:08 PM

I did a sew along online on Saturday through GEquilt designs. The pattern is Amalie Supersized. It is 42” by 54”. I used flannel for the top and backing, pillow turned it, and did some machine quilting on the top. I will give to my church quilters to donate.

Approximately 3.25 yards out of my stash plus the batting. Wahoo!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	85CA61EE-B0A9-4204-B424-0DA7D1E799AB.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	642548   Click image for larger version

Name:	A38893F1-324F-4603-A392-3F3A3CE272B3.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	642549  
Old 02-01-2023, 06:05 PM

I've been off-line for a few days and come back to find this thread has exploded. So I won't try to reply to individual posts and just say I am so impressed with what everyone is doing. And I love the idea about being tied to the wagon with bungee cords! My only quilty purchase this month was a roll of batting -- on sale at JoAnn online and very much needed.

I've completed 7 quilts up to the trimming and binding stage. I use the large tables at the community center for trimming but we've been in an ice storm the last 3 days so will probably go and trim them tomorrow. I use the back to front binding method so it's fast and easy. I did take a picture of 5 of the charity quilts sort of bunched up together. Not very pretty, but it's visual proof (to me) of my work. One other was the mystery quilt I posted earlier and one was an UFO I forgot to take a pic of. So... my goal was 3 charity quilts a month and I've made 5. Not a bad start. I estimate that I've used 34 yards from stash. Only 2,850 yards to go! (estimated)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	January quilts.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	642550  
Old 02-02-2023, 05:42 AM

Yea, to you Belfrybat. What an accomplishment for one month!. Take a deep breath and plunge in for February. Three a month is quite a goal. I get one done each month and start way to many others. Thus, I have lots of WIPS to finish, but almost all from stash.

I take my quilts to my local senior center now because they have marvelous tables that are all new, thus the same height and they move easily. The quilt group there is under the delusion that all I do is quilt, tee-hee-hee.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:41 AM

Way to go Belfrybat! I'm still stalled on a UFO and a WIP which both need something more, but I can't decide what. So, nothing new started, but also, no new fabric purchases-Yay!

Rob
Old 02-02-2023, 09:14 PM

Im in for this year as well, have stayed the course so far
Starting my first quilt for the year next week, I do make handbags as well so have to finish off a couple of those before starting

Old 02-03-2023, 08:01 PM

Congratulations on all of the:
a) fabric acquisition avoidance,
b) getting up after falling off the wagon,
c) amazing finishes,
d) fantastic attitudes and encouraging comments,
e) carefully considered stash increases for good reasons AND
f) enthusiastic participation in the thread!

So many great posts!

I've been steadily making blocks for a stash quilt but have decided I don't think my original plan is going to work for me or for the fabric. Lots of other ideas going on in my head so I'm not too worried about its not finding some sort of happy ending. I have been sidelined by a stupid head cold this week (drippy noses and fabric do not play well together) but am looking forward to getting back at it. Happy February, everyone!
Old 02-04-2023, 03:38 AM

Spam reported.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:53 AM

I ran out of fabric for a quilt that I am working on, so had to purchase more. As it was a connecting threads fabric that is still available, that was the easy part. They were also having a sale on batting, and as I don't have enough on hand to finish the quilt tops that I am currently working on, some of that jumped into my cart as well. So far, it's all good, as everything was needed to finish quilts in progress.

But then the dreaded message came up - You only have $4.30 more to add to your cart for free shipping. So a few more yards were added to complete the order. In my defense, it was sale fabric and I had a 15% off coupon. But it's more fabric added to my already overflowing stash. I have one more quilt to do to complete those that I am doing for great nieces and nephews, so this fabric might work in that quilt. But perhaps not...