Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Finally finished my UFO Irish Chain quilt, not bound >

Finally finished my UFO Irish Chain quilt, not bound

Finally finished my UFO Irish Chain quilt, not bound

Old 02-03-2023, 06:34 AM

Default Finally finished my UFO Irish Chain quilt, not bound

I don't remember what year I might have put this bad boy together but I do know I used mostly all scrap strips leftover from another quilt I made for a couple down in Florida. All my recipent said was pine green. Well, exactly what shade of green is pine green I asked myself so just went with what I had on hand as I'm on the no fabric buying mode since Nov 2018. I remember ordering the backing in a green and I always order 3.5 x 108 as most of my quilts are over 100x100. This one is 103 x 103. I did use yardage for the border and neutral (white) but all the rest was long scrap strips. Plus I'd never made an Irish Chain so this was the time to do so. I don't like making the same pattern twice if I can help it, rather like having a challenge with a new pattern whether it's easy or difficult.

Now after losing my mojo for a number of years I'm finally back in the saddle and this one is #4 of my 12 UFO quilt tops. I'm hoping to be able to finish them all by the end of the year plus I have another quilt project up on my design wall. I did also make 2 smaller quilts since I got back to sewing in the past month. Now for this quilt. I couldn't decide how to quilt it as I do have robotics due to shaking hands and after much debating I came up with a plan until it came to all those 2x2 squares. I decided to try crosshatching but do it with rulers or with the robotics. I decided with robotics (IQ) and let me tell you I had such fun like working thru a maze or jigsaw puzzle seeing just how far I could go until I had to stop and cut the thread. I finally decided to use my alphabet straight pins so I could remember which line I wanted to stitch first and then the next. Had never done this before so it was new to me but I had such a blast which also made me love quilting all the more so maybe now I'm on a roll,

I couldn't hang the quilt so you could see all of it as it's winter here in Iowa with lots of snow and -0- temps outside so I hung it over my quilt frame. For the large dark green block I used a feather block turned on point which I'd never used before but always wanted to and then since it had an empty center I decided to add their last name initial in block style. Hope you like as much as I do plus being able to use up all those scrap strips too. Of course they have procreated during the night again. I also included a printout from EQ8 to show the full quilt though you'll notice I forgot one of the sashings near the border. Oh well.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:36 AM

Well looks like my photos didn't come thru again so I'll try now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Irish Chain.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	642580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center block with Block Initial.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	642581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triple Irish Chain.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	642582  
Old 02-03-2023, 06:41 AM

That's beautiful!!!
Old 02-03-2023, 06:44 AM

I really like it with the green background instead of the usual white. Great job.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:46 AM

Lovely quilt, and super job on the quilting!
Old 02-03-2023, 06:46 AM

Gorgeous, love all the green
Old 02-03-2023, 06:55 AM

Just in time for St. Patrick's Day. Very pretty.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:01 AM

Wow, that's a lot of little squares! Your quilting is beautiful.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:21 AM

So glad you got your mojo back and treated us to this beauty. I envy your ability to quilt, as the center fill is gorgeous. Great job and keep those UFO finishes coming.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:46 AM

When I really got into quilting 2019 and started looking online at quilts, I was always drawn to the Irish Chains. Your quilt really turned out pretty and the quilting is outstanding. Love it!