Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 02-04-2023, 08:21 AM

Woodland creature -- it sounds like you had a win-win despite the overflow. You are purposefully buying, not randomly buying AND you have plans for the fabrics purchased so its all good. Your screen name is one that indicates storing up for the future so yay for meeting the needs of your nature, too. I am looking forward to seeing your quilt!

and batting doesn't count unless you really want it to count :-)

Gemm -- nice list of positives! Thank you!
Old 02-04-2023, 09:54 AM

Default Fabric Moratorium 2023

[I have tried to rid myself of this and that, yet I have not accomplished much, I am planning on making a move to another state and have to get rid of a lot of stuff. I will pack what I am taking , plan on gifting some of the fabric to friends and hopefully, when I leave my stash will be less.

Yet, I always seem to be buying as I don't have the right fabric for project I am working on.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:22 AM

I found a pattern I liked that used 2 1/2" strips and I had quite a few left over from previous patterns I used 35 strips and that used alot of my stash I know it is going to be different from pattern it will be scrappy
Old 02-04-2023, 03:04 PM

Ibex94 - I had been storing up for retirement, which happened last summer. The screen name is a reference to my home, which is in the middle of the woods and not visible from the road. I thought that once I retired I would have an unlimited amount of time to sew, but living in the woods with two German Shorthair Pointers, well, let’s just say that they have other ideas as to the best use of my time.

Newbee3 - I am just exploring the thrill that comes with scrappy. I’m sure it will be wonderful.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:00 PM

Woodland -- I am envious of your home in the woods! I completely understand why your fur babies want you outside exploring with them instead of working on quilts. Congratulations on retirement! Your quilts will come when you least expect them. In the meantime, I am glad you have a stash!
Old 02-05-2023, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Bagwell View Post
[I have tried to rid myself of this and that, yet I have not accomplished much, I am planning on making a move to another state and have to get rid of a lot of stuff. I will pack what I am taking , plan on gifting some of the fabric to friends and hopefully, when I leave my stash will be less.

Yet, I always seem to be buying as I don't have the right fabric for project I am working on.
last year I also moved from Calif, not far from you. Left about 70% behind. And I miss it. But looking forward into the promised land, I leave burdens behind.

Is this a military move?
Old 02-07-2023, 07:52 AM

So far this year I"ve still not bought any fabric since Nov 2018. I've put together 4 flimsies, 2 are lap size 2 are queen size. Got one quilted last week, got another lap size on the frame as we speak. The total of these quilts from orphan blocks, leftover strips from other quilts in the past, just plain old scraps and some yardage such as for binding, borders and sashings, I've used up over 43 yds if my EQ8 program is correct. Why doesn't it make seem to look like I have less? I swear those scraps procreate at night. Anyway, here are the flimsies or finished quilts, some are just a printout from my EQ8 as I haven't taken photos of those not quilted just yet.

I've also given away a large tote full of fleece, a panel, neutral scraps which I have no idea how much there was, large tote full of laces and ribbons.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Irish Chain.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	642632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowgirl 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	642633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple Trail Mix.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	642634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norwegian Snowflakes.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	739.1 KB
ID:	642635  
Old 02-07-2023, 08:15 AM

Snooze2978 - I can't decide which ones I like the best! Can't wait to see photos of the finished quilts.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:55 AM

Snooze -- no fabric purchases since 2018!!! You must have a ton of fabrics on hand. Were you a shop owner? Your quilts look great! That EQ8 pattern at the end is a great 2.5" fabric buster for the bday candy board! Thank you for sharing! Like Woodland said, I can't wait to see those EQ8 finished quilts. You are amazing!!
Old 02-07-2023, 09:23 AM

Until quite recently I only made one quilt at the time, just in case I expire mid-quit
BUT...I have a stash which I purchase bit at the time in the Seventies, form of a fabric therapy I suspect, the cottons were mostly 99c a yard and sometime 49c a Yard on Sale. That is my excuse anyway.
so here we are 40some years later, sorry too scared to do tactual math,
I have sorted in to Reds, Blues, and Orphans..
Started a log cabin with the reds, and then started a log cabin with the Blues, and I have 9 squares of each and turns out that blues and red of today do not in any way agree with the blues of yesteryear, also I really DO NOT like the orphans.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
thumb_77_RED aef89e2.jpeg.pdf (66.5 KB, 147 views)
thumb_77 BLUE b7c.jpeg.pdf (71.6 KB, 119 views)
thumb_77_ MIXed 02.jpeg.pdf (70.1 KB, 61 views)