Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What Are We Organizing Today 2023 >

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

Old 02-05-2023, 08:00 AM

Quossum- I've been pretty lax lately, was so busy this past fall that I got behind on the cutting and started putting the pieces into the drawers where they will go once cut - so now my 2.5" square drawer has some larger pieces that will get cut to that size eventually. Same with my 3" and 5" drawers. But at least the scraps are off my horizontal surfaces. Deciding to put the ones that met my criteria for cutting into those drawers even though they were uncut helped keep me from traveling down that slippery slope into indecision about what to cut down and what to keep uncut LOL.

Rob
Old 02-07-2023, 07:39 AM

Well, I'm sure I've already commented here but since then I've been going thru my sewing room and donating items I know I'll never use such as a tote full of fleece, another tote full of laces and ribbons, panels, large scraps of neutrals. Even went thru my rulers and if I had more than 1 of the same type of ruler it went into a pile. I offered everything 1st to my sister, then to a gal I met at the thrift shop as she has a group of gals making donation quilts so most of it went to her and her group. Anything either of them didn't want went to the thrift shop in town as they are non-profit.

Now I'm just trying to reorganize everything so I know what I have in here. Been taking out empty totes to the garage, pulling long strips of fabrics and putting them on hangers so they don't get wrinkled up and easier to find them. Found a couple small containers I've put fabric into so must be collecting them for some project so found out who they were for and added their name to the container. I still have to go thru all my scrap bins under the cutting table but that's going to be a big job as I've been just jamming the scraps under neath when I was done with them so only God knows what I might find under there.

Yesterday I pulled down my old design wall, brought in the 1.5" foam board I bought maybe 5 years ago for this little project as my sister said she'd help me put the new one up. I even washed the batting I'd been using all those years too and it came out pretty clean. I wouldn't use it for quilts I"m gifting but I can use it for pet quilts and utility quilts for myself so won't go to waste.

My goal this year is to get all the flimsies hanging up quilted this year and to put what projects I've gotten to block stage made into a flimsy. So far this year I've put 2 lap size quilts together, one all embroidered................a Wedding Ring quilt, used orphan blocks, leftover strips and scraps to make a doggie quilt that's now on the frame to be quilted, finished quilting a large Triple Irish Chain quilt which I'm hoping to gift to the couple this weekend. That leaves only another 8 flimsies to quilt this year at least, 3 projects in block stage to become flimsies. So not a big goal really....................yeah right.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:43 PM

You've done a lot already and having a plan is the best way forward. Good luck. I, too, have 4 flimsies to quilt, but am working on a UFO Christmas tree skirt half done that is from probably around 2010. Then it's on to an embroidered table topper that shouldn't take more than a few days before I can start on those flimsies. I did send the biggest one off to be quilted, which I haven't done for 11 yrs. LOL
Old 02-07-2023, 05:56 PM

Snooze2978: Great job of decluttering things you don’t need and working on your goals. I have large scrap tubs like you have under your table. I sometimes pull scraps out but shudder looking at all of it. Mostly scraps from my church quilting group so they are smaller pieces.

EmiliasNana: Sounds like you have a good start on your plans of completing projects.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:39 AM

retiredteacher09, I have most all my scraps in bins depending on the width of the scrap. Bins marked from 1.0, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 5.0. Then comes the cutoffs, all those diagonal cuts when putting sashings and borders together if they're worth saving. Then there are the orphan blocks and lastly a couple bins full of oversized scraps not worth folding back onto the comic book boards. I'm slowly getting all the leftover 2.0 and 2.5 strips cut and putting them on hangers so they don't get wrinkled up and I'll see them more readily.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:45 AM

Snooze2978- you are an inspiration! That's a lot of organizing and decluttering.

I needed to do some mindless sewing yesterday, so I took all my cotton batting scraps and turned them into Franken-batting pieces that I'll use in art quilts. I also sorted all the scraps from the last 6 quilts and put them into the drawers corresponding with the size squares I will cut them into when I get time- that was a job! I also spent 15 minutes gathering up stuff to put in the donation boxes- I didn't part with anything from my studios, but my clothing drawers are now noticeably emptier LOL!

Rob
Old 02-08-2023, 03:58 PM

For most of the month of January I cleaned out my fabric, crafts, and yarns. In September I took 5 large boxes of fabric to my sister in AZ for her group of ladies that do donation quilts. Even though it all came out of my sewing room it looked like I hadn't gotten rid of anything. So I asked my sister if the ladies did arts and craft and knitting/crocheting. Luckily they do - so I put it all in large bins and boxes. I looked through them to make sure I didn't have something super personal in them. Otherwise, it all had to go. Books were also had to go. Then it was time to go through the fabric again - 5 more boxes. She came over to attend the Road to CA Show with me and took a car full of fabric, etc. home. What was once on the floor now has space on shelves. I am now able to walk around my sewing room without tripping. And my DH got me a new BluRay player for my room so I can play (listen) to my shows as I sew. I am one of those people that has to have movement in the room in order to work. it feels so good to be able to dust and vacuum the room again. I have 3 quilts to make and once those are done, then I will be re-assessing again. I found so many things in cleaning out - I had bought more dish towels to embroider - then discovered a dozen in a bin, and a box full of hand towels too.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:33 PM

Snooze2978: I have strip bags/bins also along with orphan blocks and odds and ends. 🤦🏼‍♀️. The good thing is that I’m not bringing much fabric home from my charities now.

rryder: Great job of using 15 minutes a day to add to your donation pile. You’re making progress with keeping your area clean.

quiltingcandy: Wahoo to giving things away! It’s nice to know your items will be used and appreciated by your sister and her friends.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:49 PM

Recently made a new friend who makes hooked rugs then today I pulled out a forgotten box of wool in the bottom of my storage closet. I will offer it to her. Another box I found had batting pieces so I can put it to use.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:38 AM

Finished sewing the top this morning using the Chained Links from Donna Jordan. Another top for Project Linus. Whew. So today and probably most of this weedend will be attacking my mess of 2.5" squares. I use the free Arkansas Crossing patterns so I can use up 16 little blocks in the first block and then 2 more in the secondary block. Tired of looking at that huge container where I toss them. (Note to self...quit doing that. )

Plan to use these blocks as either backing...really cool... or even a top...doubtful.