Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread wax question >

thread wax question

thread wax question

Old 02-19-2023, 04:03 PM

Default thread wax question

When I do my google inquiry, it seems that thread wax is meant to be used for hand stitching and you are supposed to condition each piece of thread manually.
But what I want to know....
Is there a way to condition a whole spool of thread so that it can be used through a machine? or is this not recommended?
I find myself having trouble with cotton threads but the slicker polyester threads work better with my machine. I was just trying to brainstorm to see if I could get the cotton to glide through more smoothly.

Thank you!
Old 02-19-2023, 04:34 PM

https://seedlingssewn.weebly.com/sus...ad-controversy
https://melinful.blogspot.com/2012/0...-schamber.html
First, I don't quilt with 100% cotton thread. It breaks too easily for me. I had problems with some stronger polyester thread when quilting with my older Nolting (no computer, all manual, must oil every time you use it). The thread wouldn't feed easily. I happened to meet Sharon Schamber at one of the Houston Quilt Festival and to my surprise, she had a spool of thread soaking in some oil. I asked her about it and she said she did it all the time. I couldn't believe that there wouldn't be an oil residual but she said that running the thread though the tensioners would squeeze out any excess oil. I tried it and loved the ease of the thread going the machine. I would get my spool out of the oil and let it rest and drain overnight before using it. I used machine oil, the same as I was oiling my machine with. I was happy with the results.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:26 PM

There used to be a product called "Sewer's Aid" the helped with difficult thread. I haven't had problems in year and so haven't used it. But I think it's still being sold.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:47 PM

There's even a cube called "Thread Magic," that you can stick onto your machine that the thread passes through as it feeds into your machine. It has a "thread conditioner" in it.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:23 PM

Wax is not recommended for machine sewing. It can build up in the tension discs. But I use Sewer's Aid all the time. It's very dry where I live and it was recommended by someone here on the QB. It helps A LOT!

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 02-19-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:02 AM

I use "cheaper" mineral oil and have success with drizzling on my sewing and embroidery threads, specifically. I put the mineral oil in old eye drops bottles and keep near machines. Doesn’t take but a little—drag the 'nozzle'back and forth around the thread spool.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:21 PM
Gay

I use Silicone in the spray can for difficult threads. There is no residue left on the fabric. Cotton threads, even the cheaper ones, play nicely after a soaking.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:28 PM

Silicone for fabrics and pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil work for me. Mineral oil doesn't leave oil spots, for those who are wondering.