Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
picking a pattern >

picking a pattern

picking a pattern

Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 AM

I also enjoyed using Quilter's Cache, was in a block of the month club which picked a star block each month. So much fun! I have some really beautiful star blocks that need to be sewing together I still am deciding on what to do with sashing and borders. They have hundreds of blocks to choose from, it’s deciding which ones to use is the hard part. :? Their instructions are great. Although I really didn't get into paper piecing...much too hard and messy for me. :|

What is fun you can test your ability as you go along and try something new or a little more complicated which helps you learn. The trick is to get some muslin or scrap fabric to try out the block first. This way you can see if you like and are comfortable enough to use it in your quilt. :thumbup:
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM

my first quilting class i took several years ago was a sampler quilt class...it was enjoyable and made me realize i wanted more quilting. the bad part with that quilt was that i had made it as a tribute to my best friend of 40 yrs. who had died suddenly. i finally lost my way with the whole thing and just had to put it away. got back to quilting last fall and am hooked. i appreciate all the help and suggestions. thanks. mona
Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by tkhooper
I'm so indecisive I made a sampler quilt. That way I could do one of all the different blocks that I liked. It also gave me a chance to try all the different piecing techniques. I really had a great learning experience making it. Still am actually. I'm to the sandwiching stage.
I too had so many quilts I wanted to try but started thinking in overwhelm mode, then came up w/ the idea to do my own sample quilt. So just as soon as the small pile of UFO's is done I am going to start planning a sample quilt-hopefully it will force me out of my comfort zone and force me to try something new. My problem w/ patterns is I lose my pateinces and tend to go off in my own direction.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Don't plan a sampler quilt - plan to make one. Don't make the blocks in any order (you change it around anyhow). Just have fun with it. I am working on Lady of the Lake now. Very simple, very pretty, very fun! That's how I like to quilt. Edie
Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Try Farm Boy or Dutch Doll these are 30's patterns my mother got them out of McCall Magazine and a Progessive Farmers Magazines.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Those are applique' like Sunflower Sue? I can tackle anything in this world, but applique' is not in my vocabulary of quilting! I did a lot of it in a Memory quilt that I made and thought I would go nuts. :thumbdown: So I will attempt anything else (almost). God love the ones that can and I have the utmost respect for them, but I just cannot do it!

Keep on truckin'! Edie
Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
Since you are a beginner, check out Eleanor Burns book, "Egg Money Quilts". It is all popular 30's blocks.
excellent idea! her instructions are very clear,easy to understand. If you don't have it, check the library.

or you could get some bleached muslin and make a simple 9 patch..with muslin squares seperating the 9 patch. simple pattern but would look very nice with 30's prints.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:54 PM

Turning Twenty is a very easy quilt and pretty.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 PM

well edie, you brought chuckles from me on that one. i tried applique with my first sampler quilt class and did my least favorite thing - ripped out over and over until i had ruined the material. swore off that torture until i'm good at one thing.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 AM

hello and welcome from Illinois, i know how you feel i have enough quilt patterns bookmarked to last me the rest of my life !!!! just hope to get most of them done