Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm question >

Longarm question

Longarm question

Old 02-25-2023, 01:28 PM

Default Longarm question

I'm thinking of sending my latest quilt out to be longarmed which is something I've never done before.
How much larger than the quilt top should the backing and batting be cut?
I'm not even sure how this works but will check with my LQS this week for specifics. Is there anything special I should be asking them or anything I should know?
Old 02-25-2023, 01:43 PM

Most longarmers want at least 4 inches extra on each side for the backing and batting.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:30 PM
Gay

Also, if your backing needs to be joined make you join side to side, not top to bottom.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:56 PM

If you are making the backing from regular yardage, it probably is best to ask the long Armer how she wants it. On my 12-foot frame, I can do a queen-sized quilt but may need to think about how I will load a king sized one. I usually do over-all designs so sometimes I will load a quilt sideways as I will not have to advance the quilt as much. I have a 26-inch machine so maybe can do the quilt with only 3-4 advances. Anyway, you want to be able to have the backing seams, so they are Parallel to the rollers, so the seams go the entire length. If you have the seams on the backing so they are perpendicular to the rollers, that seam will build up a ridge as the quilt is advanced making it probable that you will get a wrinkle in the quilt.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:30 AM

Tell your longarmer that you don't know what you don't know, and ask her (or him) to tell you everything you should know. A GOOD longarmer will happily and patiently give you your answers. If you feel like she is rushing through her answers in order to get your quilt, find another longarmer. A person who takes shortcuts in her responses will take shortcuts in other areas as well.

Last edited by Peckish; 02-26-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:47 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Tell your longarmer that you don't know what you don't know, and ask her (or him) to tell you everything you should know. A GOOD longarmer will happily and patiently give you your answers. If you feel like she is rushing through her answers in order to get your quilt, find another longarmer. A person who takes shortcuts in her responses will take shortcuts in other areas as well.
^ This is exactly what should be done! ^
Old 02-27-2023, 06:06 AM

Thank you for your help!! My quilt is on the smallish size, and a square, about 56" x 56".

Another question for you - does the cost of having a quilt longarmed increase with a more detailed design (such as detailed designs in borders and swirls all over vs straight lines and evenly spaced)? Is the design pattern something I would go over with the quilter when I turn the quilt over to her/him?
Old 02-27-2023, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Pricing and design are things you should definitely discuss with the longarmer. Most, I think, charge by the square inch, and that charge is determined by how complicated the design is. Custom quilting (something other than an allover design) and dense quilting naturally cost more. There may also be a minimum charge, since it takes time to load the quilt. There may also be a charge for thread. Depending on what you want (and are willing to pay for), the cost of the longarming could vary tremendously, even on a small quilt.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
I'm thinking of sending my latest quilt out to be longarmed which is something I've never done before.
How much larger than the quilt top should the backing and batting be cut?

I'm not even sure how this works but will check with my LQS this week for specifics. Is there anything special I should be asking them or anything I should know?
I prefer 6" all the way around the quilt top.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:44 AM

Terms that you may find helpful:

e2e or edge to edge - this refers to a quilting pattern that repeats itself and runs from one edge of the quilt to another. This is accomplished either with a robotic, computerized system, or the quilter uses paper pantographs, manually steering the sewing machine and "tracing" the design printed on the paper with a stylus or laser. This is generally the most affordable type of quilting because it requires the least amount of work on the quilter's part.

b2b or border to border - very similar to e2e except the quilting pattern stops at the borders of the quilt. This gives the quilter the opportunity to quilt a different pattern in the borders. This type of quilting is usually computer-driven.

custom - This is the most expensive kind of quilting and typically is "steered" by hand. I know of a few quilters who will use robotics, but it's still expensive because the quilter has to design the quilt pattern specifically for the quilt in the software, and that can be time-consuming.

You will want to have an idea of how dense you want the quilting to be. A more dense pattern will take more time and use more thread, so the price may be higher.

You also will need to think about what you want the finished quilt to look and feel like. Do you want a soft, fluffy quilt that drapes around someone sitting on a couch? Choose polyester or wool batting and a less dense quilt pattern. Do you like thinner quilts, or maybe you want the quilting to shine? Choose a denser quilt pattern and a heavier thread.

Again - these are all things your quilter SHOULD discuss with you before you both agree on the job.

Ask for recommendations for longarmers around your LQS and guild members; learn what their experiences have been like. Ask to see quilts the longarmer has quilted. What's their turnaround time? A long turnaround time isn't necessarily bad, it might mean that longarmer is popular because she's very good. Or it could mean she's new and slow.