Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Creamier Enchilada Sauce >

Creamier Enchilada Sauce

Creamier Enchilada Sauce

Old 02-26-2023, 10:46 AM

Default Creamier Enchilada Sauce

I use canned enchilada sauce a lot and in all sorts of ways, but rarely for enchiladas. It's kind of runny, so when I do make enchiladas, I like to add a little bechamel sauce (white sauce) to it. Not too much, just a couple of tablespoons, or it will lose it's chili flavor and red color. I usually fix it up with more spices after adding the white sauce. The little bit of white sauce makes the sauce a bit thicker and a lot creamier. We like it that way.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-27-2023, 04:44 AM

I made enchiladas the other day with low-carb corn tortillas! They were next to the zero-carb flour ones at the grocery store. For the insides, I melt equal amounts of Velveta and cream cheese, then assemble with chopped onions. The enchilada sauce is...canned chile, no beans.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:14 AM

I've often thickened the red sauce by reducing it in a saucepan, then adding corn starch and cold water.
I really dislike that thin canned sauce, it's so flavorless. My co-worker is half Mexican, she told me how to make good enchilada sauce from scratch, it sounded very simple and easy, but I've forgotten some of the ingredients. I need to have her tell me again and this time I'll write it down! I think it was very similar to my arrabbiata sauce, which is roasted tomatoes, garlic, shallots, and spices, only the enchilada sauce had the addition of guajillo peppers (or a similar pepper).

Last edited by Peckish; 02-27-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I've often thickened the red sauce by reducing it in a saucepan, then adding corn starch and cold water.
I really dislike that thin canned sauce, it's so flavorless. My co-worker is half Mexican, she told me how to make good enchilada sauce from scratch, it sounded very simple and easy, but I've forgotten some of the ingredients. I need to have her tell me again and this time I'll write it down! I think it was very similar to my arrabbiata sauce, which is roasted tomatoes, garlic, shallots, and spices, only the enchilada sauce had the addition of guajillo peppers (or a similar pepper).
Yumm! Please ask her again,so you can share the recipe with us!
Old 02-28-2023, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I add sour cream to make it thicker and creamier.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I add sour cream to make it thicker and creamier.
I do too, or use heavy whipping cream or a combination of both.