Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your King size >

Your King size

Your King size

Old 02-22-2023, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
i would ask her what size is her bed
She hasn’t bought it yet, or I would just go over and measure.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:22 PM

How do you piece a backing for a king size. I will need 110" x 122" of backing to send to my longarmer and am not sure of the best way to piece the backing.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:00 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by LaurMac View Post
How do you piece a backing for a king size. I will need 110" x 122" of backing to send to my longarmer and am not sure of the best way to piece the backing.
You will want the seams running parallel to the LA's rails/bars so that the thickness doesn't keep rolling up on itself in a single spot as the quilt is advanced on the frame.

Ask your longarmer how she/he would load a quilt top of that size (the 110" dimension or the 122" dimension) and make your backing seams parallel (same direction) to that edge.

Last edited by mkc; 02-27-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:31 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll pass on the message
Old 03-05-2023, 03:11 PM

Default Your King Size

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
Hi Quilters, what size do YOU make YOUR king size quilts? I’m making a Goodnight Irene by Jenny Doan. I have it 89x104 so I know I need the 89 bigger. I ordered more fabric to enlarge it and will be so glad when this is done. I had already added the border blocks, when oldest daughter informed me she is going to a king, not a queen bed size. 🙄😩 I did Google and King sizes are all over the place. I need to know what YOUR size is. She plans to have it drop over the sides of a deep mattress and use a bed skirt with it. Thanks for any help. Toogie
So many replies that are so repetitious. A standard king-size mattress top measures 80"x80'. A cal king measures 76"x84". Have the person decide the amount of overhang on each side of the mattress, plus the depth of the mattress. Same for the foot overhang. Does the person want to tuck under pillows or use shams? That's personal. Personally, I like to pull my quilt over my pillows and tuck it. Add the depth of your pillows plus however much you want for the tuck.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:59 AM

Yep, i have a king size quilt made with 16 inch blocks on my full size bed now. it hangs over the sides more but the bottom corners don't touch the floor too much to make a tripping hazard for me and that is good. I have 6x7 blocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mad for Plaid King 2001.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	642987