Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twin Quilt Size Only >

Twin Quilt Size Only

Twin Quilt Size Only

Old 02-25-2023, 07:28 PM

Default Twin Quilt Size Only

I have someone who wants me to make them a quilt in blues only. I make only twin quilts size, so how much fabric would I need to purchase for one quilt top?
Old 02-26-2023, 03:03 AM

It will depend on the pattern you are going to use, how many different shades of blue, the background fabric if any and also how you plan to piece the backing fabric or planning to use wide backing on it and what fabric you plan for the binding.

Since you only make, have made, twin size, what general amounts have you needed to use before is a good partial ballpark guide as well more importantly, what I wrote above.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 02-26-2023 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:08 PM

I read somewhere (generally speaking) that you need 4 yards for a twin, 6 for a full, 8 for a queen and 10 for a king.

Dont know if its true....
Old 02-27-2023, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
I read somewhere (generally speaking) that you need 4 yards for a twin, 6 for a full, 8 for a queen and 10 for a king.

Dont know if its true....
Yes, you are correct. That's 4 yards for the top and 4 yards for the bottom, so a total of 8 yards for a twin size quilt.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:02 PM

The amount of fabric you will need for a twin size quilt top depends on a few factors such as the size of the squares or other shapes you plan to use, the number of blocks you plan to make, and the amount of waste generated during cutting and piecing.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:18 PM

I would first have the person pick out a pattern you both can agree upon, then go to the fabric store to have him/her pick out and buy the fabric. That way there is no disagreement or disappointment with either one. Nor is there any misunderstanding of price if you are going this for money.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 02-27-2023 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:17 AM

I agree with quilting candy, get the person involved with the quilt making process. Pick out a few quilt patterns you feel comfortable making and have them pick one. That way the person won't pick out a complicated pattern you're not comfortable making. Then go to the fabric store together and have them pick out the fabric with your guidance. You can decide ahead of time how much of each color you will need for the quilt. Then pick out the backing and binding fabric. I'd also buy a little extra of each fabric for those little cutting mistakes we all have made.