Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laura Heine collage quilts, done any? >

Laura Heine collage quilts, done any?

Laura Heine collage quilts, done any?

Old 03-15-2023, 07:50 AM

Default Laura Heine collage quilts, done any?

I'm in the process of making new quilts for my loft rail and one will be one of Laura's collage quilts, I've ordered the Sunflowers pattern which is about 30X40". To me it seems a similar process to when I was doing leaded glass windows. Anyone have any tips and tricks for me so I don't reinvent the wheel? Or care to share images of your projects?

I also did a lot of Snippets collage about 20 years ago so am familiar with steam a seam.

here is a link to her site if you haven't heard of her. https://www.fiberworks-heine.com/sho...t-Patterns.htm
Old 03-15-2023, 10:08 AM

I took a class from Laura a few years ago. I have to admit I have not completed the wall hanging. I have the dog all collaged, I just haven't put it on the back ground and quilted it yet. There is no real magic to it. It's just placement. Ours were done all with flowers which I think was a bit easier, but not something I'm really enamored of.

Sorry, I'm not more help
Old 03-15-2023, 11:14 AM

response is conversation, thank you I watched a short video and she says when quilting the piece to keep pressing it, that if it is warm when you are quilting the needle goes through like butter. I am really looking forward to starting, Sunflowers are a health icon for me.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
response is conversation, thank you I watched a short video and she says when quilting the piece to keep pressing it, that if it is warm when you are quilting the needle goes through like butter. I am really looking forward to starting, Sunflowers are a health icon for me.
That's interesting. I'm going to have to keep that in mind when I finally get around to quilting mine.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:27 PM

I started the seahorse ages ago and cut some flower shapes out. I don’t have the creative eye for placement of colors and shading.

I have the pattern for the flamingo and the giraffe. Perhaps someday I will entertain the projects again.

There is a light weight fusible called misty fuse. Have you seen it?
Old 03-15-2023, 02:30 PM

Have you seen this?

https://susancarlson.com/2022/05/07/...-paducah-2022/
Old 03-16-2023, 02:43 AM

Very interesting! Have not seen these patterns before. Very intriguing on how it all comes together.
Kamelaquilts, I think you are brave to tackle this, but how fun. They look doable and challenging at the same time.
Rhonda, the site you suggested is over the top on WOW.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:18 AM

good morning! Rhonda, I watched Susan Carlson youtube linked from one of Ryder's posts I think (I searched the subject and read nearly all the threads) That dinosaur behind her, just, Wow!
I haven't used mistyfuse, that came out after my prior collage period but Heine says not to use it on her projects, just the steam a seam. I 'think' because it is double sided so you can reposition your pieces and work at a wall.

I was thinking in the night rather than pull the item from the sewing machine when quilting and going to the iron, I could keep my little heat gun from card making days and give a blast of heat to the next line to be stitched?

Old 03-16-2023, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I took her class. I did the pincushion. If I did it again I would put all the background on first then the other pieces on top of that instead of cutting the background in pieces. It was fun choosing the fun prints for the pattern. I fussy cut a lot of little details to add to it. I wrapped it around foam board and hung it on my sewing room wall. I probably won't make another one as I got bored with the process of cutting so much with scissors and toward the end I was gluing the small pieces instead of fusing. I'm glad I took the class. Now I know I won't feel I want to make one everytime I see her patterns. Her patterns are so pretty.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:38 AM

Everyone of those patterns looks beautiful but the ones I've seen in person are too stiff for a true quilt. Great for a wall hanging. Not so good to warm my bed.