Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews? >

Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews?

Most likely getting a Kenmore Machine - Reviews?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:14 PM

sears has an excellent walking foot. You can get an open front one and see where it needs to be. Had a kenmore for years and loved it. Good luck on your new one.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:20 PM

I have a Brother XR52 right now which is fine. I have been looking into the Janome MC6600P, but am disappointed that I can't find a price on one. I am in Maine and the nearest dealer I can find is 100 miles away. I doubt they would give me a quote over the phone since I am not quite ready to place an order. I found a price of $1100 on a 6500P but am not sure that would have all that I want compared to the 6600. Cany anyone give me an idea of what this machine would cost or where I could find someone to give me a ballpark price? Thanks for your help.
Originally Posted by jeanau
Kenmores are not made by Bernina. Some Kenmores are made by Janome. Many people are happy with their Kenmores. But, Berninas are Swiss made and Janomes are Japanese. Kenmores are very reliable machines, and can be returned to Sears if you are unhappy with machine within 30 days. Berninas are only sold through Bernina stores/representatives. I hope that this information helps you out. If I am incorrect on this, please someone jump in and correct me. Happy new machine...always a lot of fun to get a new sewing machine!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:04 PM

I've had a Kenmore for years. I sewed all my little girls clothes with it and even jeans. It seemed liked it wasn't sewing very well, so I bought a Bernina and guess what----I think the Kenmore just needed a friend...Now it sews better than ever..Go figure...Kenmore's last forever and ever...I love both my machines. Good luck with yours...
Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 PM

You can buy one in JoAnn's. You will need to know if it is a high shank, low shank, or slant shank though. It makes a difference - they are not interchangeable.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Rachel. I'm soooo glad you got it. I have a Singer that I use most often and a Jaquar serger that I love, too.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Unless something has changed in the last few months, Brother, makes there own machines and also Babylock. Janome makes machines for Sears, etc.

Sue
Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

I don't know anything about it but it sure is pretty. Penny.D
Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ctquilter
Originally Posted by Maride
I think all machines stop in the needle up position unless you push the button and then they stop in the needle down position.

If this is not true, someone tell us different.

Barb
Most machines, maybe all, will stop at the needle up position every time. Some have a button (and this one has it) that when you hold it down for a couple of seconds, the needle will stop in the down position every time you stop. This a a great feature when quilting. My old Bernina always stops with the needle up and if I want it down I have to do it manually. I still love my oldie anyway.
On my machine I have to push the needle down button every time I stop sewing. Does anyone else have to do this?[/quote]

yes I have to manually and I have the elna. Penny.D
Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 AM

iF YOU ARE DOING FMQ I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE SEARS MACHINE.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by ctquilter
Originally Posted by Maride
I think all machines stop in the needle up position unless you push the button and then they stop in the needle down position.

If this is not true, someone tell us different.

Barb
Most machines, maybe all, will stop at the needle up position every time. Some have a button (and this one has it) that when you hold it down for a couple of seconds, the needle will stop in the down position every time you stop. This a a great feature when quilting. My old Bernina always stops with the needle up and if I want it down I have to do it manually. I still love my oldie anyway.
On my machine I have to push the needle down button every time I stop sewing. Does anyone else have to do this?
From what I can tell already, if you start sewing with the needle down, it will always end with the needle down, but if you are doing applique where you are starting in the middle of the fabric, you can't start with the needle down all the time. But last night when I was regular piecing, I was able to do it, but obviously I don't care about having the needle down when I am piecing! :) :) So I am going to guess that you machine does do it, but it's not of a great help since you can't start with your needle down when you are doing the kind of work you need needle down for!

Cheers!
Rachel