Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
baby quilt vs ?? >

baby quilt vs ??

baby quilt vs ??

Old 03-18-2023, 08:42 AM

Default baby quilt vs ??

I'm in the process of making a baby quilt for my niece who is due in July. I'm not really big on baby things, they grow out of stuff SO fast it just seems a waste to me. Do you guys normally just make small crib size quilts or do you think it might be better to make it more throw size, or twin size for when she gets bigger?? Something more like fitting the top of the bed without hanging over too much (it would be 48"x80", the throw style would be 48"x48" or maybe 48"x64"). I could also do 2 blocks by 4 blocks with a border for a smaller crib size, but I think I like the looks of it so far without any border, or maybe with a tiny background color border just to keep the pattern in from the binding by an inch or so.

The problem I have is the block I'm doing is a lot bigger than I thought it would be, I wasn't paying attention at all! haha! I was hoping for 10-12" and it's 16".
Old 03-18-2023, 08:55 AM

I did talk to my niece about making the quilt because I needed to know colors for the nursery, and told her I'll make it a little bigger than crib size (no quilts in the crib anyway) so the baby can grow into it and she seemed happy about it. But we never chatted about sizes.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:01 AM

I almost always make them a little bigger. They can use it as a tummy time quilt and then to snuggle under on the couch as they grow
Old 03-18-2023, 09:10 AM

Yeah the last baby quilt I made was for the floor, I made it 40x60 or so and he seems to love it snuggling on the couch with his family. I was going to do it around that size, but then I thought bigger might be better? She'll probably not like the colors when she's older, unless she's like my niece who has loved purple since she knew how to name the color!, so I'll probably wind up making her another one when she's older anyway!

(Of course with the block being bigger than I thought I now need more fabric which will take a couple weeks to get here, so frustrating when I'm almost done! haha!!)
Old 03-18-2023, 09:23 AM

One good reason to make them bigger is when they begin to roll over. It's nice to not have them roll onto the floor. I make mine a little less than twin size.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I make them bigger than crib size. Sort of throw size.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:41 AM

Thanks everyone! I think I'll go with the 3 blocks by 4 blocks so the 48x64 size and add a tiny border to get up to 50"x66", that way it's big enough to play on and snuggle with too but not twin size which seems so huge for a newborn! haha!
Old 03-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

A baby quilt as the mother wants regarding colors, the first quilt is for the mother to look at anyway. I then make play quilts as the child gets older. I buy panels of the book or tv character or animals and make fun play quilts. I always use a panel for the toddlers/preschool age and make it so it's taller then the child and wide so the child can wrap up in it. My grands got play quilts quiet often from me, being a fast panel quilt I don't mind the quilts being given away when their interest changed. Now that they are older they each have a bed size quilt and still get throw size if they ask for one.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes it is a once and done depending on situation. Grands of course whatever they want
Old 03-18-2023, 12:03 PM

Well we don't have kids ourselves, so my niece has always been what my parents call her our "adopted daughter". haha. She used to come down to stay with us a bunch of weekends a year and her and her brother used to come down for fun things like us taking them to a local small zoo, and hikes and then we did Stranger Things binges! Now they're older and busy with their own things, so it's nice to be able to do this for them. She moved in with her boyfriend a year and a half ago and last year I made them a nice queen size quilt for their bed. So I will be making more for the baby over the years. I still am in shock that my sister is going to be a grandmother!!!!

But my niece sent me three things for color ideas and one was a purple, white and green quilt and when I looked up fabrics like it I actually found the exact collection! I haven't told her yet but I think she's going to love it! It's flowerhouse lavender blessings if anyone knows it. It is more adult, so it's something she can grow into a bit. I also got extra of the backing material that goes with it to make curtains.