Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock Zeal vs. Bernette 05 Academy Firsthand Reviews >

Babylock Zeal vs. Bernette 05 Academy Firsthand Reviews

Babylock Zeal vs. Bernette 05 Academy Firsthand Reviews

Old 03-18-2023, 08:51 AM

Default Babylock Zeal vs. Bernette 05 Academy Firsthand Reviews

I'm looking to buy a new mechanical sewing machine that is $500 or less for quilting, alterations, and household sewing.

The Babylock Zeal and the Bernette 05 Academy look like they fits what I need and I would love to hear if any of you love them or hate them.
​​​​​​

Last edited by RosieQ; 03-18-2023 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 03-18-2023, 10:36 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I recently took a friend to get her machine repaired at my LQS. I completely trust them especially their service people. Anyway, they told her that her old singer would be $150 just to look at it. So she asked, how much for a new one.? ( no pressure on their part) They sell both these models along with Juki’s and of course Bernini's. Her limit was also $500 although she never told them. She asked which was the better machine. Of course he said they were both good but in the end, thought the BL Zeal was a better built machine. The Bernetye used
Old 03-18-2023, 10:39 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I recently took a friend to get her machine repaired at my LQS. I completely trust them especially their service people. Anyway, they told her that her old singer would be $150 just to look at it. So she asked, how much for a new one.? ( no pressure on their part) They sell both these models along with Juki’s and of course Berninas. Her limit was also $500 although she never told them. She asked which was the better machine. Of course he said they were both good but in the end, thought the BL Zeal was a better built machine. The Bernette’s use more plastic parts from what I understand. She got the Zeal for around $400 all in I think.
hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
I recently took a friend to get her machine repaired at my LQS. I completely trust them especially their service people. Anyway, they told her that her old singer would be $150 just to look at it. So she asked, how much for a new one.? ( no pressure on their part) They sell both these models along with Juki’s and of course Berninas. Her limit was also $500 although she never told them. She asked which was the better machine. Of course he said they were both good but in the end, thought the BL Zeal was a better built machine. The Bernette’s use more plastic parts from what I understand. She got the Zeal for around $400 all in I think.
hope this helps.
THANK YOU it really does.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:20 PM

I can only respond about the Zeal. I have had mine for 3 years and love it. It is the machine I take to classes, and until my husband purchased a machine that I use for quilting & embroidery I used it at home also. I find it easy to use and very strong. I can go through thick and thin fabrics with ease. I feel like I can really count on my Zeal to work well when I am piecing.

Last edited by Reader1; 03-18-2023 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:43 AM

I have a fancier Bernette and I have problems with the auto thread cutter. I took it in to get looked at and was told if the problem bothers you, turn the auto thread cutter I won’t buy a Bernette again.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Reader1 View Post
I can only respond about the Zeal. I have had mine for 3 years and love it. It is the machine I take to classes, and until my husband purchased a machine that I use for quilting & embroidery I used it at home also. I find it easy to use and very strong. I can go through thick and thin fabrics with ease. I feel like I can really count on my Zeal to work well when I am piecing.
That sounds like just the machine I'm looking for. Thank you.