Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any tips for y seams? >

Any tips for y seams?

Any tips for y seams?

Old 03-24-2023, 12:45 PM

Default Any tips for y seams?

After all this time I'm finally tackling the art of Y seams. I've made one block using this method. It turned out ok, but I'd just like to hear from those of you who are experienced in this crazy art in our sewing world. Any tips or thoughts are definitely welcome. It's really great to be able to ask for input. Thank you and have a great windy March day!
Old 03-24-2023, 12:56 PM

I think it depends on how fussy you want to get, for me, I mark all 1/4 in stopping points.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:11 PM

Tallchilck, I do the same thing. I became very good friends with Mr and Mrs Seam Ripper. You have to be so careful with your stitching if you want the block to lay flat.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:19 PM

You do not need to stitch right to that marked point. And absolutely do not stitch past it. If you are a stitch off the marked point, the pressing is actually easier. If you stitch right to the point in both directions, sometimes you get a bit of a bump when pressing. I machine pieced a throw with 4 inch hexies and became very familiar with those pesky Y seams. They are not as annoying or intimidating as I expected.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:29 PM
Gay

When I made my hexie quilt I found it best to not sew fully edge to edge, but leave open 1/4in at each end, and don't worry if your seams when joining blocks don't meet exactly. Makes pressing the back much easier.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hexagons 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	643207  
Old 03-24-2023, 04:04 PM

Y seams are one reason when i do hexagons, i do them in half's. Then sew them into rows and then the rows together. In some patterns ways have been given to get past Y seams. Now i still mark my 1/4 stopping point when doing binding corners on quilts and many more. marking can't always be avoided.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:32 PM

I was doing a Krista Moser pattern that used Y seams and after following her instructions for sewing Y seams I found a video on YouTube by Kate Wood on sewing a Y seam and I finished using her method and never marked a 1/4" dot again. Just search Kate Wood Y seam on YouTube.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:10 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10YysHZSK44
OMG! Just watched her vildeo! She sure makes Y-seams so easy! 3 dog...thanks kfor the suggestion.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:19 AM

I mark the 1/4” seam allowance with a pencil dot. And only sew up to the end of the seam line, not into it. I like y-seams. They make for a pretty pattern instead of just straight squares.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:28 AM

I made a large 5" hexie quilt about 2 years ago. Let me say that I will never work with that many Y seams again. Kind of says how I liked them.