Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 03-25-2023, 03:29 AM

Bringing us back to the topic of this thread, holding off on random purchasing and using our stash, I stand boldly before you in saying that I bought some fabric recently. On the other hand it was the background for a quilt I am making during a quilt retreat next weekend. No guilt for that purchase. The larger part of the quilt is from a layer cake from stash.

Second purchase was a panel. A friend of mine has been whining "you make quilts for everyone but not me". As a non-quilter/sewer she doesn't understand what she was asking for! I found a panel this week that will be the heart of what she wants and I can surprise her with a quilt later this summer. So, that was my second purchase. The rest of the quilt will be from stash. Again, no guilt and a guide to get more out of my stash. Whoo-Hoo!
Old 03-25-2023, 03:32 AM

WMUTeach - The wavey line was done using the Elvira ruler from Angela Walters. I have a sit-down long arm that I use for quilting. I'm not great at it, so I tend to use rulers a lot. The lines on this are about 7/8" - I would have preferred to make them a bit farther apart, but the markings on the ruler didn't seem to lend themselves to a larger separation. The quilt is 54" X 54", and while I didn't really keep track of how long it took to quilt, I'm going to guess it was about 4 hours or so - long enough to be tired of the process, but not long enough to throw the quilt to the other side of the room and not finish it!
Old 03-25-2023, 05:11 PM

Woodland, I have not used rulers yet. I keep thinking about it then, I shout "squirrel" and off I go in another direction. I quilt most of my own with meandering or crosshatching and a few done with channeling. I like the channeling but it takes so long because I use my machine foot as a guide. They end up pretty narrow. Looks good but not the fastest technique.

Thanks for the ruler info, I may get on the ball and give it a try. New foot, new ruler and a flat bed for my Pfaff. That's all I need. Tee-Hee-Hee.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:41 PM

Woodland georgous quilt. I downloaded the pattern, but couldn’t decide on the fabric. Great fabric choices.

Current project from stash =. started a a new top using 8 - 10 yards from stash only for the top. {~95” long by 109” wide} It’s an easy pattern. I hope to have it completed by end of next month. I plan to use a sheet from stash for the backing. (Do you consider sheets for backing as part of our stash?).

current project from stash = this week I will be cutting from my (stash only fabric) for another mystery QAL. Possible using 14 yards for a altered king size top. ~ 95” by ~ 125”. That should take a month or so to complete.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:34 PM

Happylab -- you're tearing up that yardage! Good going! I say, if you use a sheet for backing, that is yardage out from your stash, f'sure!! You get to make up the rules on how you want to reackon your succeses, however. I am just an enabler.

JoAnn's has a $5/yard novelty sale going on right now. I got ten yards. I'm still walking behind the wagon but I'm loving my fabric choices!! I haven't been to JoAnn's for a long time.... I used to go weekly.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:07 AM

I need to get here more often and see all the wonderful projects you guys are creating. I have done well with no purchases. While I have been tempted a few times, I wait and the feeling passes. I just wished I was going a little faster on the sewing. At the very least I need a baby quilt for my first grandbaby arriving in May. It's hard to pick a pattern and just get on it for some reason.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:27 PM

Here, ta-da, is my latest baby quilt finish all from stash. This is a pattern called Strippy Stars from My Carolina Home. A very easy pattern presented as a sew-a-long this month of March 2023. Finished in a week! It uses half of a jelly roll and a small amount of yardage for the background. It still needs its label but I need to wait for the baby name because it is a secret until she arrives in a week or two.

The second photo is my helper posing after her inspection duties were complete. Tee-Hee-Hee!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-03-27 Monsema #2 42X42 MCH Strippy Stars.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	960.1 KB
ID:	643243   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230-3-26 Monsema with ZuZu.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	643244  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 03-27-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:28 PM

Erin - Congrats on the upcoming grandbaby!! And double congrats on keeping your purchases down! Do you have good colors in your stash for the baby quilt? Time for sewing is always a problem for me, too.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:39 PM

Happylab - great that you can look to your stash first. And WMUTeach - fabulous quilt and helper.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:50 PM

WMUteach -- great quilt!!! Your helper is adorable, too.