Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What Are We Organizing Today 2023 >

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

What Are We Organizing Today 2023

Old 03-15-2023, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by SallyS View Post
Your kitty is adorable. I must keep my very much loved cat out of my sewing room because she can't resist thread and has had surgery because of it. Keep a good eye on your beautiful kitten.
I agree. I always keep our kitties out of my quilting room. Besides threads, there are sometimes pins and needles that have fallen onto the floor. Cats are curious by nature and you just never know. Cats have hooked tonuges and once they get something in their mouths, they tend to just keep working their tongue until it goes down their throat. Daughter does cross stitch and had kept it in her living room on a stand. Her cat saw a thread laying on the top of it and lapped it up, only to pull out the needle from the cross stitch that was attached to the thread for her next sesson. Down the throat it went, all the thread and the attached needle. Thankfully, daughter realized it and immediately took the cat to the vet and there were able to retrieve the needle and thread through surgery. PS (information): If you see a thread on either end - never pull it, as it could be tangled inside, and can cause stranglation of tissues if you try to pull it out. Let a vet do what they need to do!

So glad your kitty came through okay.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:37 AM

I'm at a stopping point at the moment and thought I straighten up a few piles of fabric from the quilts I've finished.

One thing is that I don't keep a lot of scraps. Anything smaller than 2.5 x 2.5 is tossed.
The question I'm having is: I have scraps that are of the same fabric as remaining yardage (When I say yardage, I'm talking about a yard or more of yardage). Do I keep the scraps with the yardage for maybe needing them for the next quilt, because they will come in handy if I need that size of a cut, or do I put them with like size scraps for scrapy quilts? How do you do it?
Old 03-21-2023, 04:24 PM

I do keep them together. I will NOT cut them down but when I fold the larger piece for storage, I tuck in the smaller pieces so them are wrapped up snug for the next project.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I do keep them together. I will NOT cut them down but when I fold the larger piece for storage, I tuck in the smaller pieces so them are wrapped up snug for the next project.
I think that is what I will do. Thanks. I usually just layed them on top of the yardage if I kept them together, but then they ended up all over the place/jumbled. What you suggested will work so much better.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I think that is what I will do. Thanks. I usually just layed them on top of the yardage if I kept them together, but then they ended up all over the place/jumbled. What you suggested will work so much better.
The secondary benefit is it is such a nice surprise when I pick out a color choice and discover that I DO have enough fabric to finish the next project because of those little bits hiding in the folded fabric. Tee-Hee-Hee!
Old 03-22-2023, 05:10 AM

I do the same thing.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:34 AM

My cutting table once again is a diaster. So I grabbed my dictionary, the book and on-line looking for the definition of "organization" and not for "a group of people". Guess what I found? Nothing! No definition relating to innate (sp) objects! So if there is no defination relating to what I thought was "organizing" my stuff, should I not worry about it and maybe just plow thru life trying to find my stuff?
I'm a retired elem school librarian and could find that specific book that was requested, importnt docutments were in a special place on my desk, etc. So why is quilting so foreign to my once organized brain? Please don't say it's age related...lol

(Tongue in cheek humor early in the morning.)
Old 03-22-2023, 07:16 AM

Julienm1- LOL!

Yesterday I found a number of books that I could let go. That allowed me to get two piles off the floor and onto the bookshelf! I'm thinking baby steps here as that means my shelves are once again filled. And, over the weekend we went to the Guitar as represented in art show at the VA Museum. Since I'm trying to declutter, I showed great restraint and did not buy the catalog, even though there was a fantastic appliqué quilt in the show and lots of other great art, plus an amazing number of antique and vintage guitars. It was really really really hard...

Rob
Old 03-28-2023, 04:05 AM

Today is general clean up day. I am packing for a three day quilt retreat! The primary project is all cut and in a plastic box all set to go and I have two small projects packed in case I need a break from making thirty identical blocks. Now it is time to think carefully of all the tools that I need or might need for the weekend. So, while I am putting them in my bag, I can also straighten up the odds and ends that tend to roam around my sewing room. That is the plan unless a squirrel passes through and I get distracted.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:16 PM

Today I finished making a scrappy back for PL quilt. Tomorrow I think I"ll corral all my jelly rolls and get them organized in the croisant continers we get from Costco. I have four containers and other smaller containers so in theory I should be able to get them all in one place.Wish;me luck! When trhat is done, I'll glue baste that quilt.

I really hate organizing fab. Looks nice one day and then when I search my stash...well you know the drill.