Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Canned peas >

Canned peas

Canned peas

Old 04-12-2023, 12:44 PM

yes, we always made white sauce with milk. I have problems with spices as I simply do not like a lot of them. I will buy a different one try it, keep it around for about 5 or so years, then toss it. So, I pretty much stick to salt & pepper cinnamon, chili powder and the occasional bay leave. Always buy the smallest size I can.
Old 04-12-2023, 03:05 PM

More online recipe searching.. Don’t want to waste good food trying to make this taste edible.

Got any fabulous ideas?
Old 04-12-2023, 04:09 PM

The only recipe, I can think of is seven-layer casserole or shipwreck casserole. The older recipes called for canned peas (probably cheaper and freezer space was limited).
Old 04-13-2023, 10:14 AM

Shipwreck casserole gave me an idea. Googled it. I heard, basically put in anything you want. So I’m thinking:
brown rice, water, canned tomatoes, canned peas, potatoes, ground beef, onion and seasonings.

I’ll report back later.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:18 PM

One of our favorite dinners includes pork chops on the grill with thinly sliced potatoes, onion, carrots and peas in a foil packet or sealed foil pan. The drained peas can be added at the beginning of the cooking time and they get browned and crispy or added near the end so they are just warmed thru.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:42 PM

When I was a kid and we didn't have a lot of money, my mom would make something she had during the Depression: creamed peas and eggs on toast. You make a white sauce and add the peas plus some hard-boiled eggs, cut up. Add salt and pepper and warm the whole thing up, then serve it over warm toast. We loved it.

Leslie
Old 04-14-2023, 11:14 AM

The shipwreck casserole was good.

Repeat performance…….maybe.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:35 PM

I have been known to sneak in canned peas (and carrots) into my ground beef. mash them up super well, add a package of onion soup mix to compensate for any bland flavor. mix it all up with a package of ground beef then cook as normal. It makes your expensive pound of beef go much further plus you get some extra nutrition. it does of course change the texture of the beef, but you don't notice if you use it in the right recipe. spaghetti sauce, shepherd's pie, casseroles. you never know!
Old 04-15-2023, 04:44 PM

Very interesting ideas.
Used the last can.
Pea soup, abridged.
Used onion, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, cayenne pepper, coconut milk, canned and frozen peas. When added peas, puréed with immersion blender and added tortellini

Hey, even the dog liked it.

Make it a second time? Not sure.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:50 AM

To me canned peas look rather gross, not even a lively color green. My mom would put them in a soup or stew in a pinch if we had any in the cabinet which was rare. Mom and Dad would blanch and freeze any vegetable they could.
I keep canned pinto beans, canned tomatoes (diced, stewed, sauce, paste) some with added spices or onions, garlic, roasted)
Our favorite canned tomato product is Contidina, adds such a nice flavor to my Spaghetti sauce.