Anazon...insert eyeroll

Old 04-09-2023, 04:55 PM

I know this isn't how it is done in every warehouse. But my old neighbor worked in a big name company warehouse. She was an order picker. When she got the order, it stated where the products were located in the warehouse and also what size packaging to use to pack it in for shipment. They kept a good inventory and they couldn't just pick just any size box or envelope to send the item(s) in. They had to use what was listed on the order pickers paperwork.

On that note, I once ordered a machine quilting ruler that was about 12" long and squiggled in width of 1 to 3 inches along the 12 inch length. I received the 'breakable' acrylic ruler that was shrink wrapped only, no cardboard backing or anything, in a box that was 12" tall by 24" long and about 6 or 7 inches wide. There was no air cushioning or packing in the box to keep the acrylic ruler from bouncing around. I have no idea how it arrived in one piece with no corners broken off, or chipped. (note: this wasn't from the big name company warehouse, but a very small business) Thankfully I had a coupon for free shipping. I can't imagine what they had to pay to ship a box that size, even though it was light weight.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 04-09-2023 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

All the biggest shipping depts are computerized. Very few humans do the order picking anymore. Robotics handle it all. Ever seen the inventory robot going down the aisle of the big box stores? It was unnerving when I first saw it. The thing was polite to customers. LOL
Old 04-10-2023, 04:47 PM

I've gotten several Amazon packages with an excess amount of more air space than item. I just placed an order for several items. There are packages coming from Kentucky, Georgia and California. What really got to me was an item that supposedly was in Colorado Springs (which is about 65 miles from me) some how made it to Baltimore MD. The very confusing tracking is as follows
amazon.png
I do understand having hubs, as some of my tracking of previous packages have shown wandering around the initiating state until it gets sent to Colorado, but Colorado Springs to Baltimore is ridiculous.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-11-2023, 03:43 AM

I read somewhere that they recognize and are addressing this problem.
Old 04-11-2023, 05:37 AM

Robots??? oh my, and some people want a world of artificial intelligence doing everything. now where does that leave us?? Hmmm.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:40 AM

I just realized I spelled Amazon incorrectly. Sheepish...
Old 04-15-2023, 03:24 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I just receive 6-8 packages of t-shirts etc a friend in carrying to a missionary in Uganda. Although some different sizes had to arrive separately, Amazon delivered them safely either in those envelopes or just with a label on the packaging.
I think it depends on the warehouse. They do seem to be addressing excess packaging,
Old 04-15-2023, 04:37 AM

I've been offered the choice of no packaging, for some boxed items. All good, all interesting